Mass Effect 2 won't start

by tyurtel

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

★ Novice

It is now far too long for this problem to be fixed. I Have tried everything quoted. Renaming files I did but when I launch the game now it says missing par file. Can I get my money back cuz I can buy the disk for 4bucks

Message 101 of 128 (1,937 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What did you type in

Message 102 of 128 (1,916 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've just been hit by this. I've been playing ME2 for ages now, it's not been a problem from the start as it appears to have been for some. I've played my ME1 Shepard and have reached the "final" Jump in the campaign, so imagine my joy at suddenly not having the game launch. This came from a "Saves Not Sync'd" message. This message has cropped up before and I've never had a problem, so why now? In Origin it says the Cloud has 3 MB taken up, but the Restore Save button is greyed out. I've done a "Repair Game" but this hasn't solved the problem. Help!

It seems there are two problems. The main one is a fail to launch after importing a ME1 save. This is not my problem, mine is that it's developed this bug well into the game. Any ideas on this would be most appreciated.

Message 103 of 128 (1,724 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

After searching for 40 minutes because I am totally not used to working in the registry, I managed to locate the spot n002 was pointing at. And yes, that one little "\" was missing. Following his simple instructions, I added it in, and voilà, ME2 starts again!

So yeah, confirming n002's solution as working, soon as you find the regedit tool... (I'm slow on the uptake, was searching through folders instead T_T")

Message 104 of 128 (1,564 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Wow, I'm very glad that this could help you, Leotrak.

I must, however, disclose that I was not able to reproduce this bug on my desktop PC running Win10 x64.

It definitely happend under Win7 x64.

Message 105 of 128 (1,553 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, forgot to mention - I'm on a win7 x64 pc ^_^"

Message 106 of 128 (1,549 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you very much n002, your solution with the missing "\" in the registry works perfect and substitutes all others like reinstall, repare and whatsoever for this problem!

Message 107 of 128 (1,438 Views)

★★ Novice

The Thing that worked for me was instead of launching the game via the MassEffect2.exe... you simply launch it with the ME2Game.exe that is in the same folder .. and boom works like a charm

Message 108 of 128 (1,398 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@E1nheri wrote:

I fixed it! I FIXED IT! 

After for two days having tried literally everything (the EA support-guy I chatted with even escalated my issue) I came across a post on the BioWare social network: Remove your profile file in [drive]:\Users\[your name]\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\BIOGame\Profile ! It worked like a charm!

Works for me! Thank you! :D

Message 109 of 128 (1,162 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Just amazing!! How did you know to do this? Standard smile Wonderful human Standard smile

Message 110 of 128 (1,039 Views)