Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

by Holger1405

Original Post

★★★ Novice

I am having the exact same problem, it was working fine till I restarted my comp and origin updated, now I can not get into me2 at all, I even spent 3 hours removing and downloading the game again, still not working.  This is most upsetting.  Origin needs to find a fix and fast.

Message 111 of 128 (1,186 Views)

@JerryLee001

Any error massages?

What happens exactly?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 112 of 128 (1,176 Views)

★ Novice

This is happening to me too.  Initially, when I could not get ME2 to start, I was able to go open Origin, then open ME2 directly from the folder (run as administrator - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\ME2Game.exe" ), and the game would start up.  Now, after a major Windows 10 update, I cannot start ME 2 either from within Origin or directly from the folder. I do not get any error message.  It simply does not start.  After a second or two of the twirling cursor, nothing.

Message 113 of 128 (1,167 Views)

@PneumaQuest

Please create a DxDiag, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER) and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up like the DxDiag with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 114 of 128 (1,164 Views)

★★★ Novice

there are no error messages, it just goes to cloud synk and then nothing.  I did import my me 1 game, but like I said it was working great, played it many times, before orgin updated this last time.  I am not downloading again, to not import a file, that's just redundant, and takes like 2 hours, which is as irritating as the game not starting.   I am on a alien ware gaming computer, windows 10 home, intel (r) core (tm) i7-3820 cpu @ 3.60ghz, 8 gb ram, 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor, .. this is something to do with the update to origin not my computer, it was playing great, like I said no problems, imports worked everything.  Then they did a change to origin and now just mass effect 2 does not start.

Message 115 of 128 (1,147 Views)

@JerryLee001

Please create also a DxDiag, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER) and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up like the DxDiag with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

Message 116 of 128 (1,138 Views)

★★★ Novice

updxdiag: uploaded, but the other won't upload.  Not sure why.

Message 117 of 128 (1,127 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@JerryLee001

Hi,

This is definitely not the "f*-up-registry-after-config-tool" problem.

Since that seems not to occur under Win10x64.

From the looks of the dxdiag, it could be an issue with your Origin client.

The current version is 10.0.2.33129 - 491881

If your client shows something different under "Help -> About",

than close Origin.

Uninstall Origin (will keep games unharmed)

Restart

Download the installer from here https://www.origin.com/en-us/download

Install Origin (afterwards, be sure that settings shows the correct install path to

your games)

Try launching ME2 from Origin

---

Maybe unrelated news, but still:

Your Windows Version is not the latest build - perform Windows Update from Settings

(If the KB3193494 update still does not show - Microsoft's fault - get it manually from

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3193494

You must use Internet Explorer for that)

Get the latest Graphics Driver from here http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/107560

(unistall old - restart - install new)

Message 118 of 128 (1,121 Views)

[ Edited ]

@JerryLee001

The module at fault at most but not all of the crashes is the "ntdll.dll". That is a Windows System DLL.

Reinstalling the Origin client as @n002 suggested is a good idea.

Also try to shutdown the real time scanner of your antivirus software and tests. 

If that don't helps, run SFC /scannow as described here. Test the game afterwards. Please report if SFC /scannow can't repair all files.

Message 119 of 128 (1,117 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem i open the game, origin starts the synchronize of the save files and then nothing. After observing the details of the task manager i saw that ME 2 starts and then close instantly.

I tried re-installing the origin with ok for the beta versions. I tried repairing the game nothing worked.

Message 120 of 128 (875 Views)