Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

by alexmf138

Original Post

Re: mass effect 2 wont start

Community Manager

Hi everyone,

The studio is collecting data about crashes/games not starting. Please add you information here:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Need-Info-from-players-ME2-crashing-not-starting-after-import...

Thanks,

Ursula

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 41 of 128 (17,917 Views)

★ Novice

same problem! origin sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally could launch me2 when i re-played last chapter of me and import the savegamedata.

until today. me2 doesn´t start. but it is even weirder:

when i try to start it from my icon origin pops up and isn´t "reacting". when i go through the folder and launch it from there,

origin pops-up and displays nicely my games. so i click on play - and nothing happens. besides. ea/origin says on its site, that one is not required to log in???one way or another - i am always required to log in origin-grr-crashthing.

guess, ea should come up with a solution - and a COMPENSATION for this problem and my lost time on this!

Message 42 of 128 (17,912 Views)

★ Novice

@pontiac51 wrote:

Ok, i now could resolve my issue. First i tried to edit the Coalesced.ini with Notepad++. Sadly, there is some kind of checksum, so that didn't work. And i guess this is why the config editor doesn't work for all of you. It just messes up this checksum. However, there is a checksum fix called ME2IniFixer.

So i did the following things:

1. Edited the Coalesced.ini with Notepad++

2. Let ME2IniFixer fix the Coalesced.ini

Now the game runs again. I will now try to import the ME1 save files and keep you updated. It could be the ME2IniFixer might also be able to fix that.

Not true. I just tested this by re-installing ME2 (Trilogy Version of course), used MEConfig to edit some settings and import an ME1 character, and then used ME2IniFixer to "fix" coalesced.ini. In fact, ME2IniFixer did not recognize any changes made via Config.

So now I will re-install the game again, and then avoid the Config utility.

Message 43 of 128 (17,716 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

So I had the same issue win 7 x64 wouldn't start ME2 from the trilogy pack.....uninstalled it...reinstalled...didn't allow ME2 to update...and it let me port my ME1 character without any manual save moves....give it a try see if it works for you guys

Message 44 of 128 (17,478 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Uninstall...Reinstall but make sure that origin doesn't update Mass Effect 2.....it should then start up...configuration works...importing characters works..cerberus network works, Yet to install the DLC though.... Config shows I'm running Mass Effect 1.02 yet Origin still tries to update the game..... I think THIS may be the issue

Message 45 of 128 (17,464 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Anybody found a solution yet?......

Message 46 of 128 (17,474 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Hello Everyone, I managed to fix my problem..

First, the background.

I downloaded the trilogy from Origin, cleared ME1, then opened ME2, everything went well till I realized I hadn't picked my save file...so I went out the game, used the ME2 config file and screwed up my game as everyone else did. Then I tried downloading and installing the game, and it didnt work. I tried to add my savefile manually and it didnt work either. So

What I did:

1-  Deleted "MassEffect2Config.exe" from C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries.

2- Deleted the save file from ME1 from C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1

3- Run "Repair Installation" for ME2 in origin.

4- After it finished, I added my save file manually to the ME2 folder in "C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1"

Opened the game, and worked fine.

Hope it helps.

Message 47 of 128 (32,216 Views)

★ Novice

After hours with EA tech support, including escalated staff, similar results to those posted in this thread -namely failure to load ME2 after trying to use the configure utility & success loadint ME and ME3.  Staff gave it their best shots but did not have any idea how to fix the problem other than to advise repeated and unsuccessful reinstalls. 

This thread turned out to provide the best diagnosis of events leading to a similar problem experienced by many.  After following the suggestions of this post I was able to import my ME profile from ME from a trilogy installation.   I was able to adjust the graphics within ME2 to an acceptable level.  Will see if it works again tomorrow.  Thanks for taking the time to post these tips.  If I have a choice in the future I will acquire product from Steam unless EA shows more commitment to customers.

Message 48 of 128 (17,440 Views)

★★ Novice

The last solution solved my problem, thanks alexmf138

Message 49 of 128 (17,290 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

You sir, are a god among mortals.

Fixed my problem.  Something with the ME2Config utility is amiss ... glad I stumbled across your post, and ... thank YOU!

@alexmf138 wrote:

Hello Everyone, I managed to fix my problem..

First, the background.

I downloaded the trilogy from Origin, cleared ME1, then opened ME2, everything went well till I realized I hadn't picked my save file...so I went out the game, used the ME2 config file and screwed up my game as everyone else did. Then I tried downloading and installing the game, and it didnt work. I tried to add my savefile manually and it didnt work either. So

What I did:

1-  Deleted "MassEffect2Config.exe" from C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries.

2- Deleted the save file from ME1 from C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1

3- Run "Repair Installation" for ME2 in origin.

4- After it finished, I added my save file manually to the ME2 folder in "C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1"

Opened the game, and worked fine.

Hope it helps.

Message 50 of 128 (17,257 Views)