Re: mass effect 2 wont start

by NotThatGood88

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't start

★★★★ Novice

pls someone do something, this is fking annoying

why did they include masseffect2config.exe in the first place? no one tried it before releasing?

this must be some .ini or registry mess-up

Message 31 of 128 (15,968 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@AdamBast wrote:

pls someone do something, this is fking annoying

why did they include masseffect2config.exe in the first place? no one tried it before releasing?

this must be some .ini or registry mess-up

You're writing that as if there was something new in the games, when there is not supposed to be. 

ME-1 previously dated back nearly four years, as a console game only.  EA contracted with a third party to generate a conversion of the Xbox game (and made a big lot of noise about it not being a "port") for PCs, a few months after the console version.  ME-2, and its configuration functions, is two years old (plus) now. 

Any problems we had with ME-2 for the PC are still available for examination:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/106/index

The Configuration Utility worked before.  It's not supposed to have been changed. 

Message 32 of 128 (15,960 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

this seems to be a new problem with the trilogy edition. i bought the trilogy as well, and i can't play ME2 because of this mess.

can't even undo the importing, so i would start a new game from scratch.

i mean if you delete the imported savegame, doesn't do nothing. so the config program must write some faulty things into the registry or one of the .ini files.

i browsed throughthe registry and now i'm searching inside the config files, will report if anything comes up.

no way i'm uninstalling ME2, too much hassle

Message 33 of 128 (15,956 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i gave in and reinstalled the game, it works now.

avoid the configuration utility!!!

if you want to import your save, do it manually.

i've been looking at the .ini .xml config files and the registry for hours, but came up with nothing useful, and i still don't know what the config utility does that prevents ME2 from starting up :S

Message 34 of 128 (15,926 Views)

★★★ Novice

Have just the same problem. I downloaded and instlled ME2 via Origin from the trilogy edition. Game starts fine, but since im on a triple screen it doesnt display right. Thats the reason why i played ME1 in windowed mode.

Ok, i thought, just do the same thing in ME2. I started the config editor und changed from "Default" to "Windowed". Saved and, you guessed it, game dosn't start anymore. Resetting the parameter doesnt work, deleting registry and save folder does not work. Only reinstalling does.

Have repeated this twice and for sure the cause is the config editor. It messes up some files or entries.

Message 35 of 128 (15,877 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok, i now could resolve my issue. First i tried to edit the Coalesced.ini with Notepad++. Sadly, there is some kind of checksum, so that didn't work. And i guess this is why the config editor doesn't work for all of you. It just messes up this checksum. However, there is a checksum fix called ME2IniFixer.

So i did the following things:

1. Edited the Coalesced.ini with Notepad++

2. Let ME2IniFixer fix the Coalesced.ini

Now the game runs again. I will now try to import the ME1 save files and keep you updated. It could be the ME2IniFixer might also be able to fix that.

Message 36 of 128 (30,626 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok, i was able to import my ME1 save files. BUT i did that manually as described in this thread. Didn't want to risk to download it all again. Sry.

Message 37 of 128 (15,876 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Same problem

Pontiac, what did you edit, precisely? Is it working as it should now? thanks for the answer

Message 38 of 128 (15,863 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Same exact problem, started yesterday. I had almost beaten ME2. Now it won't load. ME1 will still work even after fiddling with compatibility settings. The online EA chat said my issue was running Windows 8, but I had been playing the whole game on Windows 8 and didn't have a problem until now. 

Anyone find any solutions? Reinstalling and compatibility changes have not helped so far. 

Message 39 of 128 (16,042 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

same problem and meh....im gonna try corrupting some files and then running the installation repairing service....if it works, i will tell you

Message 40 of 128 (16,040 Views)