Mass Effect 2 won't launch- origin failure

by shecanflyy

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't launch- origin failure

@rezsirrect 

@rezsirrect wrote:

Did everything, until I come up to this step:

Start Origin > inside the Origin Game library click on "Download" for ME2 again > after the installation finished > reboot > Test.

I clicked on the Mass Effect 2 banner in the Origin Game library (Play button is inactive)

That is strange. You made sure Origin was compatibly closed, not just minimized? 

OK, we need a crash dump of the game.

• Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • In the new Window, type or copy and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" (Without the quotation marks) > Press ENTER
  • Look if there are any "MassEffect2.exe.Xxxx.dmp" files in the "..Local\CrashDumps" folder.
  • Upload all  MassEffect2.exe dmp file at a free filehoster like Dropbox and post the link here.

If there aren't any dump files of ME2:

• Press the Windows key > Write: Command Prompt > Right click on "Command Prompt" in the search results > Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" (Without the quotation marks at beginning and end of the line, so the quotation marks before HKLM and after devenv.exe need to stay in) into the command prompt Window > Press ENTER.
  • Play the game until it crashes.
  • After the game crashes, let all Windows crash dialogues finish.
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time. > Type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" (Without the quotation marks) into the new window > Press ENTER.
  • Upload the MassEffect2.dump files at a free filehoster like Dropbox and post the link here.

If you want to undo the automatic dump creation, use the command below in a elevated command prompt (As in point 1) reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 11 of 38 (1,467 Views)

Message 12 of 38 (1,453 Views)

@rezsirrect 

ME2 crashed with a "INVALID_POINTER_READ" memory access violation.

This is not a game error, and I don't think that this is a memory problem because the other games work. Unfortunately it can have many other reasons.

Preform a clean boot and test the Game in clean boot mode.

Make sure the game uses the 1050 and not the iGPU.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 13 of 38 (1,421 Views)

★ Apprentice

Performed a clean boot as advised. It has the same behaviour - failed to launch Frown

Message 14 of 38 (1,409 Views)

[ Edited ]

@rezsirrect 

Go to your ">Drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\__Installer\vc\vc2005\redist" folder and run the "vcredist_x86.exe" as Administrator.

(Right click the "vcredist_x86.exe" > Run as Administrator.) 

Reboot > Test.

If that don't helps:

• Hit Windows key and X.
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered.
  • Inside the PowerShell or CMD, enter “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth” without quotes. > ENTER.
  • If no errors were found reaped steps 1 & 2.
  • Inside the PowerShell or CMD, enter “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes. > ENTER.
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here.
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key and X again.
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the PowerShell or CMD, enter “sfc /scannow” without quotes. >ENTER.
  • Post the message you receive at the end of the processes here.

Message 15 of 38 (1,378 Views)

★ Apprentice

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth --- Results 

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.836

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

sfc /scannow --- Results

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

Message 16 of 38 (1,358 Views)

★ Apprentice

I did another sfc /scannow after reboot(which showed that Windows did some repairing but it looks like it repaired some corrupted files but not able to repair others like this:

2020-05-18 00:39:24, Info CSI 0000022a [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file \??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\\msvcr100_clr0400.dll; source file in store is also corrupted

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 17 of 38 (1,352 Views)

★ Apprentice

After some research, managed to fix the corrupted file issue.

Now the sfc /scannow yield this results --

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I tried restarting and going to Game Library and click Play, but it has the same issue and did not launch.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall, renamed the .exe, launched the game - and still failed Frown

Message 18 of 38 (1,338 Views)

Message 19 of 38 (1,335 Views)

@rezsirrect 

OK, lets see if a third party application or service is the culprit.

Preform a clean boot and test the Game in clean boot mode. Disable your virus scanner and Afterburner and similar software as well if you use it.

Message 20 of 38 (1,282 Views)