Mass Effect 2 won't launch- origin failure

by shecanflyy

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 won't launch- origin failure

★★★★★ Newbie

I was playing Mass Effect with no issues at all for like a week. Beat it, wanted to start ME2. It wouldn't launch. It tries two ways- The first way it begins to say "Bioware" and I think it's going to work, and then all of a sudden it goes away and I'm back at my desktop, as if it never even tried. The second way, my whole screen goes white and my mouse is in a loading.. position? And then it freezes like that. Indefinitely. Until I restart the computer. I can't alt tab out or end the process.

Also, after my failed attempt at playing ME2, I tried to go back to ME1 and just start a new character. But now Origin was acting funny and saying I needed to upgrade to Windows 7 or higher (I'm on 10)

I'm just really frustrated because I want to play through these games. Please hellllp Frown 

Message 1 of 38 (5,118 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 2 won't launch- origin failure

@shecanflyy 

What is your Origin versions number? (Origin menu > Help > about.)

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that  with the "Choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 38 (5,074 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi, I'm experiencing a similar issue. I just completed ME1 and ME3 - no issues with launching the games from the Origin launcher. But after installing ME2, the game won't launch. I have tried everything on the forums from changing .exe names, uninstalling and only installing the game and not the extras, etc. Nothing worked. Please help.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 38 (5,060 Views)

★ Apprentice

Attached is my saved file from dxdiag

Message 4 of 38 (5,058 Views)

@rezsirrect 

Try to repair the game. (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2 > Repair)

I know you already reinstalled, please try it nevertheless.

If that don't helps:

• Turn off "Cloud storage" in Origin.
    (Origin menu > Origin > Application Settings > Install & Saves > Cloud storage > Off (Grey)
  • Make sure Origin is completely closed.
  • Go to "C:\Users\>your username>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" folder and move the "Save" folder and the "BIOGame" folder to your desktop.
    (Just to make this clear, the named folders must be gone from the "C:\Users\>your username>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" path.)
  • Go to ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries" folder and move the "MassEffect2.exe", the "MEGame2.exe" and the "MassEffect2Config.exe" (the last one could also be a higher one) to your desktop.
  • Go to "">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2" and delete the "data" folder.
  • Start Origin > inside the Origin Game library click on "Download" for ME2 again > after the installation finished > reboot > Test.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 38 (5,017 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

My Origin Version 10.5.69.40136 - 761032

I've also attached the text file.
I would also like to mention I have tried several fixes. Repairing the game, changing the name of the .exe files. Uninstalling and reinstalling both the game and origin, turning off cloud saves, making sure compatibility mode was off, running as administrator.

Message 6 of 38 (5,005 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Did everything, until I come up to this step:

Start Origin > inside the Origin Game library click on "Download" for ME2 again > after the installation finished > reboot > Test.

I clicked on the Mass Effect 2 banner in the Origin Game library (Play button is inactive) I clicked on Settings icon, no Download option is available other than Update Game, Repair, Game Properties, Uninstall.

I'm guessing click on Update game / Repair? Anyway, did both of Update game and Repair as well, Reboot and tried to tap on Play button. Origin dashboard went away, then it come back very shortly and the Play button becomes active again.

I suspect it may be my computer issue as I tried to install a family member's ME2 on Steam and it has the same issue too Frown

Maybe one of the installs? e.g. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005? What are the add-ons that was installed on ME2 that are different from ME1 and ME3?

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 38 (4,990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@rezsirrect 
Soooooo I just found a solution on a different thread that worked for me. And I'm like... confused because its so simple and so dumb at the same time.

Open file location in ME2, open up the config, and change the resolution... 
The game INSTANTLY booted up for me. I am in shock. Shook. Shooketh.
Haha. 

Thanks to @n7arishok for that fix. 

Message 8 of 38 (4,957 Views)

★ Apprentice

That's great! I'm afraid in my case, it didn't help. I tried this as well and it didn't help. Can I check that it is the MassEffect2Config.exe config file in Binaries folder is that right? Do you have to do it in a particular sequence? e.g. Change the resolution first before starting up Origin?

Message 9 of 38 (4,941 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Yes, thats right. Origin was running when I tried it

Message 10 of 38 (4,926 Views)