Re: Mass Effect 2 will not launch (origin)

by NeoTorrasque

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 will not launch (origin)

★★★ Novice

Hey all, the past 2 days i have been trying to get my game to launch.

The symptoms of my game are system, slow down when trying to launch (but this has now gone), in task manger under origin when launching the game igoproxy appears first then ea activation and mass effect 2 with windows error report but nothing appears on screen. When launching origin disappears of the screen then appears again. This a completely fresh install, i had just finished mass effect 1 I haven't tried to import my save.

I have tried numerous trouble shooting and followed several threads hoping one of them will have my solution but to no avail.

The solutions that i have tried have been change the exes, use -nomoviestartup, reinstall all of the visual library and .net framework repository. Tried the physx fix, tried all compatibility settings, tried running origin with override high dpi scaling, tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling several times, tried without any dlc.

I have attached my Dxdiag file if that helps.

Below is the windows report from gathered from perfmon /rel

Source
Mass Effect 2

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎28/‎06/‎2018 16:38

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\ME2Game.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    ME2Game.exe
Application Version:    1.2.1604.0
Application Timestamp:    4bd611db
Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version:    10.0.17134.112
Fault Module Timestamp:    cfe5bd82
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    00062bcd
OS Version:    10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    2057
Additional Information 1:    abcc
Additional Information 2:    abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9
Additional Information 3:    abcc
Additional Information 4:    abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    c56c6f246dcc973c51138ad35943517a (1230479763542593914)

Message 1 of 8 (818 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

I have done a complete reinstall of windows using the windows defender a fresh start which has worked. After file checking no errors came up so I thought it may be a registry file that couldn’t be fixed. Thank you for the suggestions much appreciated. Hopefully no one else will come across my issue what ever it was.

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (938 Views)

All Replies

Look in Games Install folder\Mass Effect 2\__Installer\vc\vc2005\redist

Click on the exe in that folder which SHOULD reinstall the files and fix this issue.  I don't see too much else in your DxDiag report so try this, and report back results.  If it doesn't work we can look for something else, but I think this is the repair that is supposed to fix this.

Also make sure Origin is turned off in game, running as Admin for both the game and Origin/steam of course...basics which you probably already covered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 8 (795 Views)

★★★ Novice

It looks like its not reinstalling correctly as soon as the progress bar appears it goes without warning and no other window appears letting me know that it has installed correctly.

I have been running origin and the game in admin.

Message 3 of 8 (781 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ive done that but I'm not entirely sure if it installed correctly due to it vanishing before the progress bar even reached the end and with no message saying that it completed.  If this is the case i probably have a bigger issue at hand which i really hope i don't have.

Message 4 of 8 (787 Views)

★★★ Novice

i have just tried it on my old windows 7 laptop which is below minimum specs and it worked fine it booted up without a problem. I'm guessing my pc is just messing up big time which sucks badly.

Message 5 of 8 (765 Views)

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, but life happens to me sometimes.....

Two things to try now.

Do a complete uninstall, clean and reinstall of your Video drivers.  You may also want to check into newer WHQL drivers for your audio card as well, as the creative sb xfi drivers are listed from 2015 and not Windows certified.

Second thing to try is to run a system file checker on your Windows install....use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

I currently run the game on Win10 system, Ryzen 7 processor and a AMD R9 290X vid card, so I know it WILL run on modern systems, we just have to figure out what is going on with yours.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 6 of 8 (752 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have done a complete reinstall of windows using the windows defender a fresh start which has worked. After file checking no errors came up so I thought it may be a registry file that couldn’t be fixed. Thank you for the suggestions much appreciated. Hopefully no one else will come across my issue what ever it was.

Message 7 of 8 (939 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I don't know if this will work for you, but I ran into the same issue and found a solution, albeit a rather awkward one.  I cleared Origin's cache using the method the others have mention, then ran origin in admin mode and installed them all individually.  

Message 8 of 8 (703 Views)