Re: Mass Effect 2 planetary scanning crash/bug

by AryaLeah

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 planetary scanning crash/bug

★★★ Newbie

From time to time when i go to scan a planet it will lock up and the esc key will not back me out. Is there a work-around or a fix to this cause otherwise im stuck restarting the game.

Message 1 of 9 (6,791 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie

I Know this is a few years behind, but some of us are still playing this game for the first time.  I did run into the Planet Side Scan bug where it would not allow you to hit ESC to back out of scanning (on PC). However, end the application will pretty much work but will end up making you start over. 

There is a solution that is more of a work around than a solution, since I do not develop or modify code for this game. The solution that seems to be working is when you do go to planet side to scan for the first time, scan once, launch the probe, and then hit ESC. This will, or should, back you out of scan mode. Then you can continue to go scan, and it should work. Occasionally hit ESC to back out.

View in thread

Message 7 of 9 (4,880 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hmm, you could try repairing your game, hopefully this will prevent this happening in future. 

Right-click the game panel in Origin to get this option. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 9 (6,759 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

You've got to be joking. Is this a gag for you guys? I mean I subscribe to Humble Bundle and got the game from there, I surely don't trust EA because they don't give a damn about their players, but you say maybe repair the game? Check around the 'net. There are so many who STILL have this problem and it hasn't been addressed. Classic EA.

Wasted over an hour of my time so far going back to saves dealing with this * because the only way to get back into the game is to end the process.

Message 3 of 9 (6,320 Views)

@KillBotexe

First, you do realise that the game is exactly the same, and still a EA/Bioware game, wherever you buy it?

Second, any kind of software (so also games) always have problems on a particular number of systems.

So it is no wonder that there are still user who run into this specific problem, especially now where ME2 is free on the house.  

If you want help whit this problem I would suggest to create a DxDiag, in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 9 (6,305 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just had the same experience...

Sadly no one seemes to have an answer.

Message 5 of 9 (5,948 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Have either of the players reporting the problem in this thread actually used the "Repair" option as was suggested?

Message 6 of 9 (5,815 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I Know this is a few years behind, but some of us are still playing this game for the first time.  I did run into the Planet Side Scan bug where it would not allow you to hit ESC to back out of scanning (on PC). However, end the application will pretty much work but will end up making you start over. 

There is a solution that is more of a work around than a solution, since I do not develop or modify code for this game. The solution that seems to be working is when you do go to planet side to scan for the first time, scan once, launch the probe, and then hit ESC. This will, or should, back you out of scan mode. Then you can continue to go scan, and it should work. Occasionally hit ESC to back out.

Message 7 of 9 (4,881 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Will this solve the screen stuck problem while scanning planets? I am having this problem recently, previously I used to play on Win 7 32 bit but it didn't have any problem,on Win 10 64 bit I am having the problem 😔😔

Message 8 of 9 (1,082 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @chandrajit,

I'd give the various steps in this thread a try, and feel free to create a new thread with some additional details if you're still running into the issue.

This thread is extremely old so I'll be locking it here to avoid necro-posting.
Mako.png
Message 9 of 9 (1,035 Views)