Re: Mass Effect 2 not saving

by tito-bush

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 not saving

★★★ Newbie

This November I bought ME 1 and ME2 on Steam. I've just finished ME1, and I was able to import my Shep into ME2. However, ME2 is not saving any games. When I click save, the animation comes up, but no save game file is actually created, even after multiple attempts. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling 3 times now, to 2 different hard drives with no success. The Documents>Bioware>Mass Effect 2> Save file is there, and the imported character file is in it, but no other folders or files. I'm also not able to save if I start a brand new character. Please help!

Tl;dr: I can't save my ME2 game.

Message 1 of 9 (3,782 Views)

Were you able to save games prior to this? As I recall there was a 50 save game (pre character) limit for ME2.

SD Signature Banner

Message 2 of 9 (3,767 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I've owned and played ME2 numerous times, and after 5 years of playing it off and on, I've suddenly been bitten by this bug. I'm wondering if there was ever a workaround discovered for it?

Message 3 of 9 (3,663 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Its a fairly common problem from what I've seen.

If you are still on the lazerus station (start he of the game) you should be able to save as soon as you wake up and are prompted to get a pistol. If the save button stays grey when you pause the game after you get your armour and pistol then you will never be able to save. The only thing I've been able to do is restart the game, import your character and start a new ME2 game.

Just keep starting a new ME2 game until the save button is no longer greyed out. I had to restart 3 times before it worked for me but once it works you wont have to worry about saving or autosaves anymore.

Message 4 of 9 (3,653 Views)

★★★ Novice

Having the same issue with my ME2 game. The save function is there, i have been saving regularly. But on restart there are no saves. Just the start a new game option. Maybe a bug with windows 10. Any ideas?

Message 5 of 9 (3,621 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bump. Was really looking forward to playing this again. In the save section, the create save function is green but inaccessible. The only option there is, is the save or delete option at the bottom of the save page. Says it saves, but doesn't.

Message 6 of 9 (3,594 Views)

★★ Novice

Found a solution posted by GameRuby on youtube.

Worked for me (for Windows 10 only).

Open Windows Defender, go to virus & threat protection setting.

Go to Controlled Folder Access >  Manage Controlled Folder Access > Allow an app through Controlled Folder Access > Add ME-2 & if you have ME-1 imports then also add ME-1.

Don't know it every one found it already, but hope it helps.

Message 7 of 9 (2,290 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@tito-bush Thanks bud this really helps
Message 8 of 9 (1,872 Views)

★★ Novice

Very happy that it helped.

Message 9 of 9 (1,867 Views)