Mass Effect 2 doesn't launch

by AceSucks

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 doesn't launch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My Mass Effect doesn't launch. All my other games through origin do.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times at this stage.  I'm on Window's 7 on a PC.  I sat waiting on the help chat window for an hour before they said nobody was avaiable to help.  Please I'm eager to play this game.  I open origin, I click on the mass effect 2 image, I click play, the circle spins, then nothing. 

EDIT 1:  I tried booting in a clean environment and that didn't work either.

EDIT 2: Also tried the repair feature.

Message 1 of 5 (1,028 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 2 doesn't launch

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@AceSucks Hey, there. I can think of plenty of other fixes, but I'd like to try something simple first. Please navigate to Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries and try running ME2Game.exe, rather than MassEffect2,exe, and let us know how you get on. 

As for the other questions, you can go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin then right-click the Origin,exe, then choose Properties > Compatibility to see what mode the game is set to run as. 

For the firewall, go to your security settings, then choose to add a program to your Windows Firewall. From here you can see a list which will show what's blocked and what's not. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766312(v=ws.10).aspx

Finally, see here for how to create a dxdiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

I don't think these steps will be needed, but there's no harm in sharing info. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (1,029 Views)

All Replies

Make sure Origin and ME2 are both run as administrator.  Make sure you haven't changed Origin's compatibility to something such as WinXP.  On the clean boot, did you just have ME2 running and no Anti-virus program??  If so create an exception for both Origin and ME2 in your AV...if you didn't have AV running in clean boot ignore this.  Make sure your user folder where saves from Origin games didn't get tagged read only.  Make sure your firewall isn't preventing ME2 from connecting out. 

You will need to give more info on your machine if you want more specific help...a DiaX file would be great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 5 (1,003 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ok both are run as admin, I'm not sure about how to check if it was set as winXP. I don't use AV. How do I make sure my windows firewall isn't preventing ME2 and how do I get a DiaX file?

Message 3 of 5 (997 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@AceSucks Hey, there. I can think of plenty of other fixes, but I'd like to try something simple first. Please navigate to Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries and try running ME2Game.exe, rather than MassEffect2,exe, and let us know how you get on. 

As for the other questions, you can go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin then right-click the Origin,exe, then choose Properties > Compatibility to see what mode the game is set to run as. 

For the firewall, go to your security settings, then choose to add a program to your Windows Firewall. From here you can see a list which will show what's blocked and what's not. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766312(v=ws.10).aspx

Finally, see here for how to create a dxdiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

I don't think these steps will be needed, but there's no harm in sharing info. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 5 (1,030 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

you're a genius! I thought I have played ME1 and 2 for nothing for 50 hours....

Message 5 of 5 (804 Views)