Re: Mass Effect 2 does not launch

by EA_David

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 does not launch

★★★ Novice

I have installed the full Mass Effect Trilogy and I was trying to import my save file from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2. After copying some files and going into the configurations, I think it worked. Now I found a new problem, my game won't launch. It will synchronize save files with the cloud, but nothing after that. My other games just launch after that. It worked fine before I went into the configuration, but I haven't changed anything apart from importing my saves. Can somebody please tell me what could be wrong? I already restarted both my pc and Origin.

Message 1 of 14 (25,771 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I probably should have googled it, I'm sorry for wasting your time. I found my answer in this thread:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-ME2-doesn-t-start-with-Origin-after-insta...

'I found a solution to it (it worked for me).

In binaries directory:

Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

Now It Works fine and it can import Mass Effect 1 saves.

Hope work for everyone.'

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (28,480 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi there, try disabling cloud saves then try again. Then if it launches, play for a bit and you can turn back on Cloud Saves (or not, if you only play from one machine).

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 14 (25,742 Views)

★★★ Novice

It still doesn't launch. I disabled cloud storage for all games in the 'Cloud storage' tab of Mass Effect 2. I can also click 'Uninstall' under the 'Details' tab when I'm not ingame. That option disappears for about a second, then it appears again, so it stops itself immediately. Should I reinstall the game?

Message 3 of 14 (25,739 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I probably should have googled it, I'm sorry for wasting your time. I found my answer in this thread:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Mass-Effect-Trilogy-ME2-doesn-t-start-with-Origin-after-insta...

'I found a solution to it (it worked for me).

In binaries directory:

Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

Now It Works fine and it can import Mass Effect 1 saves.

Hope work for everyone.'

Message 4 of 14 (28,481 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Thanks for posting that you found the solution, (and not just the link, but the actual fix!)

Gave you kudos for that.  Wink

Message 5 of 14 (25,704 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello

For some reason Mass Effect decided not to launch again minutes after closing the game.

I tried your solution and now I get:

Mass Effect 2 Invalid license, Reason Code = Missing DLL (MSVCP80.dll) Error .0x7E

This is very weird

Message 6 of 14 (22,932 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did this and the game still wont open?

Message 7 of 14 (18,738 Views)

@MrBeysus

Please create a DxDiag, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 8 of 14 (18,730 Views)

★ Novice

Please help.  I followed the directions and attached the file to help diagnose the problem.

Message 9 of 14 (18,006 Views)

@dslong1

OK several things.

First you run Windows 7 without service pack 1. I would suggest to update.

Second, You have a "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset" GPU, I have my doubts that this GPU is sufficient to run ME2. (Intel video cards are not officially supported in
Mass Effect 2 and it is probably also to slow.)

You can try to update your GPU driver from here and test.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 10 of 14 (17,993 Views)