Mass Effect 2 crashing after finishing Kasumi mission

by Philbert579

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 crashing after finishing Kasumi mission

★★ Novice

I am playing Mass Effect 2 on PC, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. I have the same problem that several people have reported, where when you click "Exit" after finishing the Kasumi loyalty mission, the game crashes and you can't get back to the Normandy. I have read about trying to add -nomoviestart to the shortcut but doing that doesn't seem to change anything - I still have all the intro EA/Bioware logos and loading movie in other places. I had modified the loading movies for the base game (not DLC ones) for shorter load times but changed them back when I started having this problem. I have since reinstalled the game through Origin and downloaded the DLC through the Bioware website instead of having Origin do it, but nothing I do seems to make a difference. Maybe I'm just missing something simple here with my command line argument for the shortcut I made, here's a copy/paste of the whole thing

"E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\MassEffect2.exe" -nomoviestartup

Here's relevant system specs 

Operating System
	Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
	Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz	38 °C
	Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
	16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (9-10-9-28)
Motherboard
	ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-DELUXE (SOCKET 1150)	28 °C
Graphics
	DVI (2560x1440@59Hz)
	HP 2311 (1920x1080@60Hz)
	3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (EVGA)	40 °C
Storage
	238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SSD)	28 °C
	1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)	29 °C
	1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0748 SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))	33 °C
Optical Drives
	HTC Android Phone USB Device
	Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S
Audio
	Realtek High Definition Audio

If I can provide any more information please ask, I'd really like to get back to saving the galaxy.

Message 1 of 11 (25,401 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 2 crashing after finishing Kasumi mission

★★ Novice

Well, turns out EA was able to solve my problem. I had to clear the files for Origin, then let it verify and re-download anything it needed. The steps provided by the chat agent had me delete 3 folders for Origin, then restart it in Administrator mode to recheck.

Ensure Origin is fully closed by clicking the Origin Menu and selecting Exit.
Delete the following folders:
Origin folder - Found in C:\ProgramData\
Origin folder - Found in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\ 
Origin folder - Found in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\

Once done, please relaunch your origin (run it as administrator by right clicking on origin Icon and choose run as administrator) then, login to your account and disable the Origin in-game overlay. Here are the steps:

(Origin > Application Settings > Origin In Game > Uncheck Origin In Game)
Then, once you have disabled Origin in-game overlay, kindly restart your Origin and login as administrator then, try to launch your game to see if the issue persists.

It did have to redownload the whole game (no idea why, but it worked), however I was able to pass the end screen of the mission no problem after that.

TL;DR If the -nomoviestart fix does not work for you, try forcing Origin to recheck everything by deleting its local cache.

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (28,005 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Well, turns out EA was able to solve my problem. I had to clear the files for Origin, then let it verify and re-download anything it needed. The steps provided by the chat agent had me delete 3 folders for Origin, then restart it in Administrator mode to recheck.

Ensure Origin is fully closed by clicking the Origin Menu and selecting Exit.
Delete the following folders:
Origin folder - Found in C:\ProgramData\
Origin folder - Found in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\ 
Origin folder - Found in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\

Once done, please relaunch your origin (run it as administrator by right clicking on origin Icon and choose run as administrator) then, login to your account and disable the Origin in-game overlay. Here are the steps:

(Origin > Application Settings > Origin In Game > Uncheck Origin In Game)
Then, once you have disabled Origin in-game overlay, kindly restart your Origin and login as administrator then, try to launch your game to see if the issue persists.

It did have to redownload the whole game (no idea why, but it worked), however I was able to pass the end screen of the mission no problem after that.

TL;DR If the -nomoviestart fix does not work for you, try forcing Origin to recheck everything by deleting its local cache.

Message 2 of 11 (28,006 Views)

★ Novice

I didnt work :/

Message 3 of 11 (14,634 Views)

@Kissybear85 

What is the exact problem?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 11 (14,588 Views)

★ Novice

I had the same problem with this DLC and the Arrival I look around to try and fix it but none of the methods were working so thought might try use the repair option when you right click on the game in origins and it worked

Message 5 of 11 (10,903 Views)

★ Novice

I solved the Kasumi loyalty mission be go in to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries right click on ME2Game Creating a Shortcut then right click on the ME2Game - Shortcut that you just made go to properties adn on Target line Paste in -nomoviestartup (Make sure there is a space) click apple then then run as administrator. you will know it has work when there is no EA logo when you start the game hope this help!

Message 6 of 11 (10,873 Views)

@NearbyEagle1 

So you basically did what was suggested in the accepted solution of this thread? Thinking

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 7 of 11 (10,849 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It's good "solution" using workaround instead patching of game.

Message 8 of 11 (10,534 Views)

★ Novice
@Philbert579 I had the problem when playing full-screen 1080p. I used the MassEffect2Config.exe program to set the video to 1600x900, Windowed, Borderless. I found that the game then completed the Kasumi loyalty mission properly.
Message 9 of 11 (7,340 Views)

★ Novice
@NearbyEagle1 thank you i must delete my first save becouse this mision destroy it but now i can play
Message 10 of 11 (5,917 Views)