Mass Effect 2 crashes on debriefing with illusive man after Horizon mission

by ElweedoKaczka

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 crashes on debriefing with illusive man after Horizon mission

★ Novice

It happens on the same piece of dialog every time, specifically when he says, "The collectors will be more careful now, but i think we can find another way to lure them in", as soon as the conversation wheel appears the screen goes black, you can still hear the ambient noise in the background, and I have to force reboot my PC.

I tried repairing trough the Origin client and reinstalling, and I still get the same crash.

It happened a few times before during other pieces of dialog, forcing me to reboot my PC, but when I reloaded the game I could continue to play just fine. This time it keeps crashing on the same scene making me unable to proceed with the game.

Message 1 of 6 (751 Views)

Betreff: Mass Effect 2 crashes on debriefing with illusive man after Horizon mis

[ Edited ]

@ElweedoKaczka

It seams Toshiba is not providing Windows 10 drivers for your Notebook.

The Conexant Audio driver date in your DxDiag is 2012, (So this can't be a Windows 10 driver) the driver on the Toshiba website has the same version number than this driver but is dated  from 2016-09-21. (That is a Windows 8.1 driver.)

Did you tried to update your Conexant Audio driver from the Windows device manager?

(Right click the "Conexant SmartAudio HD" > Update driver software.)

If that don't works, here you can download the driver  (Conexant SmartAudio HD) from MS directly.

After the installation is finished > reboot > test.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 6 (736 Views)

Betreff: Mass Effect 2 crashes on debriefing with illusive man after Horizon mis

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately it seems I messed something up, and now the game wont even start, steam won't open either, is there anyway I can revert the changes so that i may try something else?

EDIT: I uploaded what appears in my current dxdiag

Message 3 of 6 (721 Views)

@ElweedoKaczka

Could you elaborate on what you did? The Audio driver is exactly the same as before.

Try this:

• Press the Windows key and "X" at the same time.
  • Choose "PowerShell" (Adminisrator)" or "Command prompt (Administrator)" (Depends on the OS)
  • Inside the "PowerShell" or "CMD" window, at the prompt, type or copy and paste "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" (Without the quotes) > ENTER
  • The validation process should start after a short while:

After it reached 100%: (If you get a error message, please inform us)
  • Press the Windows key and "X" at the same time.
  • Choose "PowerShell" (Adminisrator)" or "Command prompt (Administrator)"
  • Inside the "PowerShell" or "CMD" window, at the prompt, type or copy and paste "sfc /scannnow" (Without the quotes and the S must be a lowercase inside the power-shell) > ENTER
  • Post the concluding message.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 4 of 6 (707 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I couldn't find where the file for the Conexant SmartAudio HD driver had downloaded, so I clicked on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", and chose the "Point of Audio Conection"(I'm not sure if that's how its translated, it's the bottom option from the picture i'll attach to this message), then I realized that that wasn't it, so before rebooting I found the location of the driver I had downloaded, (the conexant smartaudio hd from 28/10/2016), updated it to that version, and then rebooted my laptop, when i rebooted it, the game wouldn't start, neither would steam.

------------------------------

The restore operation completed succesfully, and the sfc /scannow says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

EDIT: I just remembered that I also applied this update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4462933/windows-10-update-kb4462933

Message 5 of 6 (699 Views)

@ElweedoKaczka

Sorry for the late answer, somehow I overlooked the notification of your post.

So Steam is still not starting?

Did you tried to reinstall Steam? (Uninstall Steam > reboot > reinstall Steam?

Message 6 of 6 (672 Views)