Re: Mass Effect 2 audio issues

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 audio issues

★★ Novice

I recently began replaying Mass Effect 2 again and I have experienced some issues with the audio. Specifically everything sounds fine expect for conversations. While I'm walking about any conversations from my squad mates sounds fine. It's only when you go into the conversation options that the voices sounds really quiet.

I have never experienced this before and I am using the exact same PC and headphones I used the last time I played Mass Effect 2 and I had no audio issues.

For clarity I have everything turned up to 100 in game, and its not a problem of other audio overpowering the conversation audio. Then I also have my PC audio at the exact same levels as they were the last time I played.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

P.S. I read somewhere about configuring the playback device you are using to stereo but I cant do that on my headphones and either way I used these headphones previously while playing this game and it was fine.

Message 1 of 3 (3,558 Views)

★★ Novice

UPDATE:

I was able to fix the issue. I realised that the only difference between when I last played Mass Effect 2 and now is I am using Windows 10 instead of Windows 7. For anyone else who runs into this issue. To fix it you have to go into the ME2 files and change both the launcher and the Mass Effect execution files by going to - properties - compatibility - then switching the programs to run in windows 7 compatibility mode. I also ran ME2 as administrator, but that shouldnt make a difference.

Message 2 of 3 (3,548 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@r1dogz wrote:P.S. I read somewhere about configuring the playback device you are using to stereo but I cant do that on my headphones and either way I used these headphones previously while playing this game and it was fine.

That may have been one of my comments.

The issue sometimes happens when plugging headphones into the speakers. If those speakers are configured to a surround output, then the audio doesn't always get properly downgraded to stereo for the headphones.

Regardless of whether this is what happened, I'm glad you found a workaround.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (3,515 Views)