Re: Mass Effect 2 Won't Launch

by alexmf138

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 Won't Launch

★★★ Newbie

I started Mass Effect 2 through Origin and it started up fine.  When I tried to import my save from ME1 it said it wasn't found and to run the utility.  So after finally finding the utility I run and locate to ME1 save file, I think, it didn't really do anything then saved it.  Tried to start ME2 through Origin again and it won't load.  Absolutely nothing happens, it says it's synching and then nothing.  I've tried starting through the .exe in the file folder too, same results.

Message 1 of 5 (2,922 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same issue. It didn't even look like it selected my ME1 Save file, but I tried to run the game. It fixed a couple corrupt DLCs and tried to launch, but nothing happened.

Message 2 of 5 (2,883 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

In spite of Bethesda having locked all of their Self-Help forums, the Mass Effect people are ignoring the Social Site's rules, and the Moderators don't care, so far more of the complaining about this problem is ocurring there, not here.  It seems very common in this trilogy's installs for ME-2 not to work correctly if there's any ME-1 data forwarded. 

Whether it is hardware linked or not, since there's no real Self Help Tech answers from the experienced gamers who used to reply in those now-locked forums, there's no way to be sure.  ME-1 actually has more trouble with low end video than ME-2 does.  Nevertheless, when a game won't launch, and the system's data is omitted, there's no real way to be certain of anything. 

Because most of the new arrivals, and even many of the more experienced gamers as well, will have have misunderstood how to evaluate their PC compared to that game box warning label, we have to start from here.  Please fill it all in.   

Basic Hardware Specification Chart (Empty so far)

Processor Manufacturer: AMD / Intel
Processor Name / Type: Athlon X2 / Pentium D / C2D / dual core / quad, etc.
Processor Speed:  ?.? Ghz
Operating System / Service Pack: WindowsXP with SP #?, Win7, Vista ?  
System RAM: ? ? GBs (MBs, if less than 1024 ? )
Video (GPU) Manufacturer: ATI / Nvidia ([b][i]only those two are supported, PERIOD, [/b]so please answer which of them you have[/i])
Video [b][u]Card[/u][/b] Model: (examples) Radeon HD 6670 / Geforce GTX 550
Video Card Driver Version: Catalyst ?.? / Nforce ??.??
 . . (please use the numbers, and dates, *not* the word "latest")
Video display's default screen resolution
Video [b][u]Card[/u][/b] onboard RAM: ? ? ? MBs
Sound Card Manufacturer:
Sound Card Driver IDs:
Sound Card Model:

Get All the Details on the Hardware Inside Your PC
http://www.pcworld.com/article/114741/answer_line_get_all_the_details_on_the_hardware_inside_your_pc...

(And this is only for the raw hardware & driver variations.  Potential software conflicts are far more likely to be game play problems, and developers cannot test for all possible program loads.)

Message 3 of 5 (2,846 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello Everyone, I managed to fix my problem..

First, the background.

I downloaded the trilogy from Origin, cleared ME1, then opened ME2, everything went well till I realized I hadn't picked my save file...so I went out the game, used the ME2 config file and screwed up my game as everyone else did. Then I tried downloading and installing the game, and it didnt work. I tried to add my savefile manually and it didnt work either. So

What I did:

1-  Deleted "MassEffect2Config.exe" from C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries.

2- Deleted the save file from ME1 from C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1

3- Run "Repair Installation" for ME2 in origin.

4- After it finished, I added my save file manually to the ME2 folder in "C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ME1"

Opened the game, and worked fine.

Hope it helps.

Message 4 of 5 (2,586 Views)

★ Novice

I had that problem to but I went to Origin, right click on ME2 and selected repair game and that fixed it.

Message 5 of 5 (837 Views)