Re: Mass Effect 2 - Unknown area

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 - Unknown area

★ Novice

So, the summary is that I made the stupid mistake (apparantly) of saving my game in a dlc area. I was about an hour into Lair of the Shadow Broker when I saved and exited, and now the game refuses to recognise my save, stating that the save is in a unknown area. I don't actually have any saves that aren't at some stage of this dlc, and every single save is telling me that I am currently in an unknown area, with an icon similiar to  something you'd get for an uncharted world in the original.

The game won't let me access these saves in any way at all in game. Is there some sort of fix? Some sort of unofficial patch, some directory tweaks I could make? I really, really don't want to have to redownload the game. My internet is piss poor, and the first time took me a fair few days.

Message 1 of 7 (4,923 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert
Sounds like something messed up one of your LotSB files.

If you did the initial install via EA/Origin, try right-click, "Repair".
If you did the initial install via Steam, try "Validate".

Both of these are designed to check the integrity of your game files and only download the corrupted ones (if any).

BTW: I've made lots of saves in that DLC and resumed playing them later.

Good Luck!
Message 2 of 7 (4,877 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the reply, but that didn't work. I didn't expect it would, to be honest. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it was something to do with DLC authorisation, but I know nothing. Maybe it can't quite authorise me as entitled to play that content. Is there someway I can do this manually?

Message 3 of 7 (4,874 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Need to know your platform and install type in order to provide any meaningful help along those lines.

Message 4 of 7 (4,864 Views)

★ Novice

I'm on pc, and I installed it after downloading from Origin. I had actually bought the trilogy on disc, but because Origin is an idiotic program, I couldn't install ME2 from disc and had to download.

Windows eight, if it makes a slight bit of difference.

Message 5 of 7 (4,858 Views)

★ Novice
I just had this problem and got a fix for it. I loaded the last save game that wasn't a shadow broker save then I could load all of my shadow broker save files. I hope that helps. Don't really know what this issue was but that fixed it for me and I'm on origin as well.
Message 6 of 7 (4,408 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I made an account just to say thank you

After 8 years of playing ME I never had this bug. 

But I got it. And this fixed it.

Message 7 of 7 (2,085 Views)