Re: Mass Effect 2 - Shadow Broker DLC Crash

by Makta

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 - Shadow Broker DLC Crash

★★★ Newbie

So, I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 again (same disc) and on my pervious playthrough I went through the Shadow Broker DLC just fine. But this time, right when you get to the cinematic at the end of the car chase, the screen goes black. I can still hear the audio, but the screen doesn't come back. What do I do?

Message 1 of 34 (55,015 Views)

Accepted Solution

You can find the fix for this problem here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 9 of 34 (59,156 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the dlc missions and second playthroughs on the ps3? because i have the exact same problem as the op except with kasumi's loyalty mission. Everytime i try to leave in the shuttle after the boss battle the game freezes without fail.

Message 2 of 34 (54,851 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm playing it on the PC for the first time. Downloaded everything through origin and I have the same crash every time... Tried all the 'reinstalling' there is to try... Even reinstalled my windows 8... Nothing changes... I'm really disappointed with the lack of response of Bioware on its forums and can't find any solution on Google...

Message 3 of 34 (54,753 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi i understand i am late to the party but i am leaving this here for future generations... I have found a solution for the multiple crashes this dlc has... the crashes I experienced were the car/taxi chase crash (black screen with music only) and the leaving the shadow broker lair crash (program crash)....  playing ME2 through Origin

For the car crash I got through it by playing the dlc in "window" mode... I also chose "no" for all the video options yes is the default... and I selected the lowest screen resolution... ended up playing this dlc using a small window.... all these options can be found in the "options" under the graphics tag

** for the car crash I chose zaeed and miranda the first 2 crashes... I went with totally different characters tali and jack for the successful run through... worth trying different characters...

Leaving the lair walking up to the door and selecting the leave to normandy I was given a windows " program has stopped " error message and was forced to end this processe then alt+con+del and close the game... this is after saving the game after getting through the car crash... I found that i even with the graphics alterations it still crashed at the end.... to pass this go to liara and when she asks about visiting the normandy select the top option to come with me now she will say ok ... youll jump to a loading screen where shep and liara are in the capt room...  so no need to go to the door and leave that way...

I have stayed away from the shadow broker lair since completing the dlc and cannot say anything when it comes to revisiting and leaving again..

before all these fixes i went into the default engine and disabled anything vsync and motion blur ( i think there were only 1 or 2)

path way (mine) D:>Origin>MassEffect2>BioGame>Config>defaultengine

to change the parameters Example : vsync=True  (fix just delete True replace by typing false) vsync=false .... its easy

not sure if this was a factor or not but i read about it and tried it in my desperation but still was unsuccessful I had to follow my steps above to get through and yet to go back and replace what I altered in the defaultengine I see no difference in gameplay or look...

after completing the dlc I returned the game back to graphic defaults and alls good!.... hope this helps some human out there... dont see how this is possible with the computer specs I have but for what its worth you are not alone with the frustrations regarding this dlc

dont forget to save!

Message 4 of 34 (54,231 Views)

★★★ Newbie

just set game to windowed fulscreeen in settings.

works on my windows 10 pc

Message 5 of 34 (53,892 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

steam player here, win7. i completed the dlc, liara is the new shadow broker. was able to leave without any issue. then came back to liara after a while but this time when i try to leave to the normandy it crashes. every_single_time. when i talk to liara, she just says thanks for stopping by, so no interactions here.

i tried opening the game as admin, changing gfx settings, repaired the game files, reverted changes in the coalesced.ini (only related to mouse), reverted to the unmodified gamesettings.ini, started the game without connecting to cerberus, ran around and accessed every display on the ship, nothing helped.

any ideas?

i can play the collector ship mission again, but it looks like i'll just never be able to visit liara again (which will break my shep-heart) Frown

SURPRISE UPDATE: fixed with -nomoviestartup switch! phew..

Message 6 of 34 (53,794 Views)

★★★ Novice

The graphical fixes didn't work for me but this one did it for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/33etqa/origin_fix_for_nomoviestartup_command/

Message 7 of 34 (53,794 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Try selecting "repair files" from the games icon in origins
Message 8 of 34 (53,741 Views)

You can find the fix for this problem here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 9 of 34 (59,157 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for your time, but your solution did not work for me. Neither did any other proposed solutions for that matter.

- made a shortcut of the original MassEffect2.exe from Binaries to the Desktop and added -nomoviestartup to the end of it's 'target' field, with the space and without any quotes.

- changed the program to run compatibility settings to Windows 7

- Disabled all Graphics Options, selected 800 x 600 and changed it to "window"

- Chose Tali and Jack as crew mates

- Set all "vsync" options in that configuration file you mentioned to "vsync=False" and saved the file

- run the shortcut as administrator

I did all of these, and yet none worked. Still the cut scene at the car chase, goes black and there's only audio, nothing works.

:-( 

:-(

What should I do?

Message 10 of 34 (46,133 Views)