Mass Effect 2-PC Keeps Crashing on Illium

by ewak89

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect 2-PC Keeps Crashing on Illium

★★★★★ Newbie

lowering the sound settings to 16bit, 44.1KHz actually solved the issue for me. Thanks!

Message 11 of 28 (5,385 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Glad it helped Standard smile
Message 12 of 28 (5,378 Views)

★★ Novice

cool thanks for sharing as i recently got it on PC after only playing on consoles nothing seemed to work 
tho as on origin trying the repair option 1st then if that fails i will try your fix cheers for updating this thread with your repair outcome

Message 13 of 28 (5,170 Views)

★★★ Newbie

For me disabling dynamic shadows during the overworld on the planet (the main city outside of missions) worked. I could turn them back on during the missions, but I had to turn them off outside until I got off Illium. It's the corridor near the markets that causes the crash for me, between the doors. The corridor you use to get to the area where the Asari leaves you a message of thanks to the Assassin. So long as dynamic shadows were off before I got to that corridor, it didn't crash.

Message 14 of 28 (4,806 Views)

★ Novice

@Donenzonen wrote:

The solution is to turn your soundsettings to 44000hz or lower.

16 bit 44100hz to be precise. It still crashes at 24 bits.

Message 15 of 28 (4,375 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Can confirm that disabling dynamic shadows does the trick. Honestly appalled that something like this has never been fixed - and here, 8  years on, we can only assume that it never will be. One of the best RPG's ever made, marred by what can only be described as laziness on the part of the developers. These games are all about immersion - and there is nothing as immersion-breaking as having to reboot your computer and google a workaround for a problem the developers just couldn't be bothered to fix, either before or after release. Really wish Bioware would place their games in more competent hands than those of EA...

Message 16 of 28 (4,264 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

It wasn't "laziness".  It was a non-issue.  This only occurs with recent hardware and DX versions. If it had been present at release, it would have been addressed.

You can't blame developers for things that go wrong because you're playing the game in an environment that didn't even exist when they made it.

[EDIT:  Oh, and why in the world would you be bringing-up "EA" in this context?!?  a) The publisher/distributor has exactly zero to do with the technical aspects of the game, and b) EA owns  BioWare.  They bought it before the release of Mass Effect 1.  It's not like BioWare can "place their games" anywhere else.)

Message 17 of 28 (4,237 Views)

★★ Novice

Yep my me2 trilogy disc came with a read error, my DLCs getting crashes because of a missing loading file, do not tell me that because i had the money to spare for a decent pc it crashes on illium, do not DARE.

Message 18 of 28 (4,081 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@TotalSaneCatLady;  We'll "dare" to tell you the truth as we know it, whatever it may be.

That said, have you tried doing a complete un-install then re-install from Origin? 

If there's a "read error" using your ME2 disc, the digital download avoids the problem completely.

Message 19 of 28 (4,067 Views)

@TotalSaneCatLady

miertponten schrieb:

Yep my me2 trilogy disc came with a read error, my DLCs getting crashes because of a missing loading file, do not tell me that because i had the money to spare for a decent pc it crashes on illium, do not DARE.

Sorry, have to

Playing older games on newer hardware and operating systems will cause problems that were not present or not as serious as they were for release.

That is in the nature of things, try to play a game written for Windows 98 on your machine today.

The recommanded system requirements on the Origin page are there for a reason:

recommanded system requirements.png

That are the systems ME2 was written for, (And the only systems on which ME2 is guaranteed to work on) it is actually pretty amazing that it still runs with only minor problems today.

Furthermore, I played ME2 on 4 different OS and on 3 different machines, (plus several hardware updates to this machines) and I never had to use the -nomoviestartup workaround nor do I have constant crashes on illium.

That on the other hand shows that some problems are caused by specific hard and software configurations, and not by the game itself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 20 of 28 (4,060 Views)