Re: Mass Effect 2-PC Keeps Crashing on Illium

by MasterBasilone

Original Post

I have to agree with @holger1405 in that I have played ME2 since release, and since I build my own PCs they aren't clean upgrades...by that I mean, I will upgrade a vid say this year and next year or two years later do the Mobo and CPU, later I will add or change a Hard Drive and so on.  So in the time I have had ME2, I have gone through 3 CPUs, 3 Vid cards( I think, may just be two, but I think I upgraded right after getting ME2), and mulitple HDs and RAM configurations, as well as 3 different OP systems.  I haven't ever had abnormal crashes on any planet, other than at end of Shadow Broker going back to Normandy, rest have been random and Illium isn't any worse than any other planet or location.  So through about about 8-12 different computer configuration ME2 has been fairly stable, and very surprising that it still runs and looks as good as it does.  Honestly, I have had many games that simply can't run anymore without some mod, hack or in some cases just will not run....so I would suggest following @ThandalNLyman suggestion and trying Origin digital download, as it will remove a great many issues with Win10 and optical/dvd/cd drives....I really think Microsoft is causing so many issues with optical drives in the effort to make them obsolete and forcing everything to go digital download....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 21 of 28 (2,557 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok, this "dare" thing was a bit harsh and i am sorry. I was pissed because of the kasumi dlc loading file missing and casusing a crash, and of course i've reinstallied it from origin severel times. I was only pissed because of the dlc crash cause of missing files .

my  pc being 'too good' for me2" was just icing on the cake.

Message 22 of 28 (2,539 Views)

★★ Novice

For me too, never had any problems with my old computer and Windows 7. And now, with my new computer and Windows 10, i had already 2 crashes ( At the end of the Kasumi's DLC and at Illium under the office of Liara ). It is very annoying...

But thanks to you guys, i found the solution to the two problems.

For Illium: i put the game in Windows mode without the borders.

For Kasumi, you can find the solution on this web site.

Message 23 of 28 (2,372 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

So changing the sound settings does jack-*-*. Now I'll try everything else.

Message 24 of 28 (2,065 Views)

★ Apprentice

That did it. I only have to worry on Illium, right? Everywhere else is fine?

Message 25 of 28 (2,060 Views)

★ Novice

So I just turned down all the sound settings and it let me go through the corridor. Turned them back up and no issues. 

Message 26 of 28 (1,479 Views)

★★ Novice

Coming in in June of 2020 to say thank you--this worked for me as well on Windows 10. Go into Settings/Sound, click your sound device, Properties, Advanced tab and set to 16 bit/44.1KHz. I also set the game to run Windowed Borderless and turned off the shadows/lighting/HQ Bloom options. 

I also had the Katsui DLC problem where you finish the mission then when you exit the recap screen the cut scene that plays when you're boarding the Normandy crashes your game. I tried every "-nomoviestartup" fix out there, etc. etc. etc. but nothing worked, ended up using the Gibbed Save Editor and moving my location to the Normandy manually. It worked, but I'll need to also adjust the right flag to mark the mission complete in the save editor too. Sure, you load on the bridge in a party dress and heels, but that's fixable. Wink I used the following player position in the save file if it helps anyone:

Base Level Name BioP_Nor

X -2.23265076 3388.90527

Y 3388.90527

Z -130.150009

Should load you right at the map in CIC. 

Message 27 of 28 (1,018 Views)

★ Apprentice

The fix that I used that got me past the issue on Ilium also is the same fix that will correct the crash that happens in Mass Effect 3 for the Priority Horizon quest.

Resolution to 800x600

Window ( no Border )

Turn off Bloom

Turn off Dynamic shadows

Turn off Environment shadows

Turn off Film grain 

Message 28 of 28 (777 Views)