Re: Mass Effect 2 - No sound over HDMI

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 - No sound over HDMI

★★ Novice

Hey! So I bought the Mass Effect trilogy on Origin recently, and having played through mass effect 1 I started on mass effect 2.

I prefer to play by connecting my laptop to my TV by hdmi, but despite my best efforts I cannot get the sound to work.

The hdmi cable has been tested on other devices, and I get sound from the TV from everything else besides ME2.

Whenever I connect my laptop by hdmi, the sound of ME2 just dies, and if I start ME2 with hdmi connected then i never get sound at all.

I have tried fiddling with the config file, rebooting, alt + tab'ing, using the MassEffect2Config, running everything as an admin,

running in compability mode (win 7/8), deleting the config file and letting it be generated, re-installing & repairing.

What the * do I do to fix this?

My laptop is a GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro and I just want to play ME2 on a big screen......

Message 1 of 6 (1,920 Views)

@Joiny77

Did you tested with another HDMI cable or on a different HDMI port at the TV?

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply. You can do that  with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 6 (1,909 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes I've tested it on multiple monitors and with different cables.

Message 3 of 6 (1,895 Views)

@Joiny77

Please Run ME2 directly from the "MassEffect2.exe" under ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries" (Run the "MassEffect2.exe" as Administrator)

(Test with and without Windows 7 compatibility mode.)

If that don't works, preform a clean boot and test the Game afterwards.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 6 (1,862 Views)

Have you checked the different sound settings inside ME2??  IIRC having headphones or surround sound set when you actually had the other in hardware caused issues. 

You also have a appcrash in your DxDiag for Audiodg.exe a windows process dealing with sound and a bluescreen for nvhda64v.sys which is an Nvidia driver crash.

I did see on an older Nvidia forum thread that some people had similar issue when connecting their laptop to the TV due to a conflict between the TV hardware/firmware and the Nvidia driver.  You may try different drivers or see if you have an update for your TV. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 6 (1,856 Views)

★★ Novice

If you are trying to use HDMI to a TV and you do not get any sound then simply go into the aps graphics settings and set it to Windowed (No Borders) and that should fix your audio problems.

Cheers, Old School Guy

Message 6 of 6 (1,502 Views)