Mass Effect 2 - Illium crashing

by DJTrioxide

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 - Illium crashing

★★★ Novice

Hi,

I have every ME game with all the DLC available installed via Origin.

My problem is: everytime I try to go through the hallway (under Liaras office), the game crashes - it also crashes from time to time if I try going along the hallway on the outside.

I got Thane, because I managed to get past once, using Windowed (No Borders) settings.

But I can't get past a second time no matter what I do, to get Samara...

It's funny, though, I didn't have this problem on my old Laptop, there it ran flawlessly-not a single crash, ever (and I did 3 complete playthroughs on that old machine).

My PC:

I7-6700k

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Asus Strix R9 390 DCIII OC

G.Skill RipJaws V 16Gb DDR4

I tried it on Windows 10, and just to try it, I reinstalled Windows 7, crash still here.

I tried GPU drivers from AMD: 15.12, 15.20, 16.1, 16.1.1, 16.2, 16.2.1, 16.3.1

I tried deleting the game completely via Origin, and doing a complete reinstall with all DLC.

I also tried the Repair Game function in Origin, crash still here.

So is there a way to get through there to get Samara?

As a side note, I didn't yet start the LOTSB DLC. I read somewhere that it is supposedly the DLCs fault for the game crashing.

If it's true, how can I remove just the LOTSB DLC, since Origin only provides the uninstall game function (which removes the whole game), so I can go and get Samara, and then reinstall the DLC?

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 10 (29,655 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 2 - Illium crashing

★★★ Novice

Ok for some reason, when you enter the hallway, you hear a random ad playing.

And if you let it play through to the end, you can pass the hallway without crashing, I mean how is that even possible that a random ad causes the game to crash...

Seems to me, that this isn't a graphical issu but a sound issue, with playing sounds and clashing while one is still paying and a second one tries to play over the active one...

In any case, I just managed to get past the hallway, hopefully this was all that is wrong...

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (32,194 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Ok for some reason, when you enter the hallway, you hear a random ad playing.

And if you let it play through to the end, you can pass the hallway without crashing, I mean how is that even possible that a random ad causes the game to crash...

Seems to me, that this isn't a graphical issu but a sound issue, with playing sounds and clashing while one is still paying and a second one tries to play over the active one...

In any case, I just managed to get past the hallway, hopefully this was all that is wrong...

Message 2 of 10 (32,195 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My setup is similar to yours. I5-6600K, 970 GTX, 16GB mem. Unfortunately, waiting for that ad to play does not solve it for me.

I'm doing a play-thru of all three old ME games before I play Andromeda which just released today. It was probably just luck for you on the sound thing. I still crash in that exact same spot, every time. So far it has been proven impassable without changing settings.

To get past that area, I set ALL graphics settings to as low as they would go, and put the game in windowed mode at 1680x1050. I also stared at the wall and strafed left as far as I could. That allowed me to get down the hallway. Once I got down and took the taxi to Samara's mission, I quit and set everything to full screen (1920x1200 was my resolution) and all settings to maximum again and it's working fine.

I also had the one where I was crashing after Kasumi's mission. The command to turn off the video, when added to the ME2.exe launch shortcut fixed that, but needed to be removed afterward, as it caused crashes getting to certain areas of Omega. That fix is here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-2/Solved-PC-Kasumi-Stolen-Memory-DLC-Crashing-at-the-end-of/td-...

Bizarre errors.. hope this helps someone else.

Message 3 of 10 (28,600 Views)

★★★ Novice

Was it solved as i am having same issue.

Message 4 of 10 (22,587 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes. Enter slonly. Stop when the ad begins. Wait until the Indentutech ad finishes completely, and then proceed.

Message 5 of 10 (21,582 Views)

★★★ Novice

Also ran into this problem, but my solution was to switch to windowed mode from full screen, and the problem fully resolved with no other alterations.

Message 6 of 10 (18,541 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Saedius I had the same problem and my solution was to go to windows mode as well. This seem to fix the issue
Message 7 of 10 (18,521 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem, on Windows 10.
Window / Fullscreen switching does not seem to affect the problem at all.
The crash seems to occur when the door closes behind you while the news/ad is playing or shortly after it has finished playing (sound clipping problem?)
Although the crash also happened a couple of times while I was still outside the corridor, with no ad/door sounds playing at all...
I've been playing the game since 2014 on Windows 7... and I'm only encountering this problem now, on Windows 10

Message 8 of 10 (8,135 Views)

@LeVojd 

Please create a DxDiag in text file format and post it with your next reply.

You can attach the DxDiag text file you created to your post in the “Reply” window with the “Choose File” button. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 9 of 10 (8,085 Views)

★★★ Newbie
In the case of me, it wasn't a save problem, it wasn't a window problem, it wasn't a problem with graphics and audio, and it was solved by taking the secondary mission from Liara. I turned the PC off and on again dozens of times. I remember that there was never such an error when playing games in the past, and auto-save is enabled and it works well for full screen.
Message 10 of 10 (4,454 Views)