Re: Mass Effect 2 Excessive Lag

by ReturnFromExile

Original Post

Mass Effect 2 Excessive Lag

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Good Evening.

I'm having quite a lot of trouble with Mass Effect 2. I have just re-installed the game on my computer after a little while as I bought a new graphics card that allowed me to play Mass Effect 1. Now originally Mass Effect 2 worked perfectly when I was running it off Intel Integrated HD 2500 graphics but now I have installed my new card (NVIDA Geforce GTX650) extreme lag occurs.

When I start the game the first two video sequences run perfectly smooth no issues at all. (Bioware/EA logos) but once it reaches the "Press any key to continue" screen I drop way down to about 0.5-1FPS it is completely unplayable. This cuts out for a short moment when starting a new game when the images of the burning sun are there, however it occurs again when it enters the scene with the Illusive Man and Miranda.

I am able to play Mass Effect 1 on all high settings works perfectly not a single error.
I am also able to play games like Skyrim/Deadspace 2/Dragon Age all on ultra high settings with no issues so this is bugging me quite a bit haha.

I have tried updating Drivers, Updating DirectX also tried the Alt+Tab and going to processes and setting the affinity and priority however this changed nothing at all. Also tried multiple video settings from the lowest to the highest and configuring NVIDIA and have reinstalled the game about 5 times. Nothing sadly.

I really want to get this game working as I loved Mass Effect 1 and really want to finish the story.

As you can see its quite a strange issue and I have no idea how to fix it, any input would be extremely appreciated.
If anyone can help at all then please.

Thankyou.

Edit* here is my PC specs. 

Intel Core i5-3470 CPU 3.2GHZ

8GB Ram

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB RAM

1TB HDD

Message 1 of 15 (782 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Video Driver?

Message 2 of 15 (773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I've tried updating the drivers but still no luck :/

Edit* Testing installing in a virtual enviroment with windows XP to see if same problem occurs.

Message 3 of 15 (763 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I would be astounded, amazed, (and baffled!) if the game could run in a VM.  The video emulator of the Win7 built-in WinXP VM is limited to 16MB.

The best hacks or 3rd-party VMs I know of can only get to 32MB.  Not nearly enough to run ME.

Message 4 of 15 (753 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yea just gave it a go. lol didn't even start xD was worth a try though.

Message 5 of 15 (749 Views)

Hero

Nvidia has bad support for older games. Sometimes it's best to try an older driver instead of a recent one.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 15 (742 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for everyones input so far Standard smile

Thats a good idea, any idea where I could get the older drivers from? I can't seem to find any before 306.23

Message 7 of 15 (735 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

There are many library sites with older drivers, although many such want to sell you stuff you don't want and don't need; just be patient and ignore the scam sites.  

Several owners of 650s / 660s have had good luck after seeking firmware upgrades from the manufacturers of their cards nd installing those.  

Message 8 of 15 (728 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you very much. I shall have a good look around for drivers and such.

Message 9 of 15 (717 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello,
I have the same problem and the same video card (GeForce GTX650, 1GB). At first, I had dirver #306. Then I upgraded it to the lastest version, but with no changes. Game doesn't work with this drivers both. According to nVidia site, #306 is first driver with support GTX650 Frown

Message 10 of 15 (704 Views)