Betreff: Mass Effect 2 Crashing on startup.

by 13bravo13

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 Crashing on startup.

★★ Novice

I have been replaying the Mass Effect Trilogy on my PC (Windows XP Pro).I got half way through Mass Effect 2 when the game stopped working.

The game launches and when the screen comes up and I press a key to continue,that is when the game crashes.It says,"Mass Effect 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close."When I click on the report,this is what pops up:Error Signature AppName me2game.exe   Modver 8.0.50727.3053

AppVer 1.2.1604.0 Modname msvcr80.dll

offset 00015108

(There is a longer technical report but I can't copy and paste it.I hope the above information is enough).

I have tried multiple times to uninstall and reinstall the game and origin and different combinations.I restarted the computer and tried a system restore to a few days before the problem occured,but nothing works.Mass Effect 1 and 3 run with no problems.(As do a few other games I have).I appreciate any help with this.

Message 1 of 10 (9,795 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

Disable "Cloud saves" for ME2

Move the "Save" folder from your "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" folder to the Desktop.

Also, in your "<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked" folder is a file named "Coalesced.ini", relocate that file too, then repair the Game inside Origin.

In Origin > Game Library > right click at Mass Effect 2 > Repair.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (11,956 Views)

All Replies

Download and run Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1.

It should replace the "msvcr80.dll" with the newest version of it. > Test and report back.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 10 (9,779 Views)

★★ Novice

It did not work.The same thing happened.

Message 3 of 10 (9,762 Views)

Ok, relocate all the save games from your "My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save" folder to another place. (the  "My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save" folder must be empty except for the "Player1.prf" file)

Then start a new game.

Message 4 of 10 (9,750 Views)

★★ Novice

I appreciate the help,but this did not work either.I still have the same problem.

Message 5 of 10 (9,730 Views)

[ Edited ]

Disable "Cloud saves" for ME2

Move the "Save" folder from your "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" folder to the Desktop.

Also, in your "<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked" folder is a file named "Coalesced.ini", relocate that file too, then repair the Game inside Origin.

In Origin > Game Library > right click at Mass Effect 2 > Repair.

Message 6 of 10 (11,957 Views)

★★ Novice

This seems to have worked.Now if I try to use my save files the same problem occurs.I guess I'll have to start over.

I appreciate your help with this and I hope that this is a permanent fix.I will test the game out for awhile(maybe a day or so) before I make this an accepted solution.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10 (9,708 Views)

The problem is that one or more of you save games are corrupt.

The only way to see which one is by trial and error.

First put the normal (Save_xxxx.pcsav) files without the "AutoSave" "ChapterSave" or the "QuickSave" files back in your standard save folder  > Test

If that still not works its likely that one of the last saves you made is responsible.

Message 8 of 10 (9,699 Views)

★★ Novice

I have accepted the previous post as a solution.I also tested out the save files as you suggested and save #5 was corrupted.(I had a total of eight saves including the auto and chapter saves).Though I am familiar with certain things in regards to computers,I am amazed that something so obscure could cause a game to stop running.(Then again this could be more common than I thought).

If anyone out there has the same issue I had,I recommend trying the first posted solution and then work your way down.

Thanks again for the help Holger1405.

Message 9 of 10 (9,678 Views)

You're welcome and thanks for the XP.

Message 10 of 10 (9,669 Views)