Game information:

PC version on disc, purchased June 2011 from Amazon

MassEffect2.exe v1.02

MassEffect2Launcher.exe v1.01

MassEffect2Config.exe v1.03

System Details:

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 / 2.67GHz / 11.9 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT / VRAM 1.00 GB / 9.18.13.697

Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) / Microsoft HdAudio.sys [6.1.7600.16385]

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7600)

DirectX 10.0 (Mar2009) or later

Problem:

When I click on play in the launch window, the screen goes black and displays the message:  "Mass Effect 2 has stopped working".  I then have to close the program.

ME2 had been working perfectly (along with several DLC's) since purchased in June of last year.  I don't know if or how it could be related, but last week I tried to install BDtS to Mass Effect and had difficulty with that.  It was right after that that Mass Effect 2 stopped working.  That's probably just coincidence, but it's the only significant change I can think of.  I have since gotten Mass Effect running again and with BDtS, but the problem with Mass Effect 2 continues.

I have not modified the game or used any save game editors.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, the dlc's and the patches, but with no effect.  I've also searched the web and found posts regarding the same or similar problem but nothing that helped.  (And that includes running MassEffect2.exe as administrator.)

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Message 1 of 3 (570 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ME2 crashes after clicking on "Play"

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I've got ME2 running again, but not by using the disc version.  I downloaded it from Origin.  I think I had tried this before, and it didn't work.  But after uninstalling everything from the disc version of ME2, I tried again, and it worked.

Since I still have not been able to get ME2 to work from disc, I don't consider this an actual solution.  It's simply a work-around.  But, at least I've got ME2 working, so I'm going to mark it as solved.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (577 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I've got ME2 running again, but not by using the disc version.  I downloaded it from Origin.  I think I had tried this before, and it didn't work.  But after uninstalling everything from the disc version of ME2, I tried again, and it worked.

Since I still have not been able to get ME2 to work from disc, I don't consider this an actual solution.  It's simply a work-around.  But, at least I've got ME2 working, so I'm going to mark it as solved.

Message 2 of 3 (578 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Do restore your system to an earlier date.

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

2. Follow the wizard.

Stop background services that are conflicting with your game. Use PCFresher for that purpose.

Message 3 of 3 (369 Views)