ME2 Sound stops

by skol2011

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ME2 Sound stops

★ Novice

Steam download.  Win 7 64 bit OS.  Nvidia graphics, ASUS Xonar DG soundcard with latest WHQL driver.

Downloaded this last night, played for a couple of hours without issues.

Today I lose sound after a couple of minutes' play.

Have installed latest sound drivers and set to 2 channel.  Whilst working the sound seems faint - but I can turn up the volume to fix that.

The real issue is that the sound then just stops.  Everything else continues fine.  No other apparent issue.  No other programs seem to be affected.

Any ideas, please?

Message 1 of 5 (4,749 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ME2 Sound stops

Hero

Try disabling all audio devices except for the Asus Xonar, not just in the device manager, but in the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, you could always just use integrated audio, assuming your motherboard has that.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (5,321 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Try disabling all audio devices except for the Asus Xonar, not just in the device manager, but in the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, you could always just use integrated audio, assuming your motherboard has that.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 5 (5,322 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for this - an hour later and I'm 99% convinced it worked (disabling on-board in BIOS).

And - delightfully - the same thing has fixed a Firefox crash that I've had for a year!

Many thanks.

Message 3 of 5 (4,739 Views)

★★★ Newbie

SOLUTION:
Go to the executable (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries\MassEffect2)
Edit properties for this, under "Compatibility" activate "Run as Administrator"
I've gotten sound everytime after doing this, but I have to start the game from the folder (MassEffect2.exe), either using Origin or a shortcut doesn't work, I still get the audio error.
Slightly annoying, but still better than no sound

Message 4 of 5 (4,661 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nothing worked for me so I tried deleting the config file and it worked perfect, it recreated itself when I started the game and the sound works.

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\data and delete the masseffect2config.xml
Run the game ~ voila!

Message 5 of 5 (3,323 Views)