ME2 Requiring manual login every time

by Ghostryderflyby

Original Post

ME2 Requiring manual login every time

★★★★★ Apprentice

I haven't played ME2 in a while, but I decided to go back through and start a new ME1 character and run a new story line all the way through the trilogy. After finishing ME1, I moved on to ME2 but have run into an annoying issue. Every time I enter ME2 I get the server can't connect message, then have to click connect and manually login, re-entering my username and password every time. What gives? It always used to save my login info and automatically log me in when I played the game before. Anyone know how to resolve this so it will automatically log me in when I launch the game again?

Message 1 of 17 (9,752 Views)

Re: ME2 Requiring manual login every time

★★★★★ Apprentice

I did some more searching around the net and finally found this fix on Mass Effect Wiki;

Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on/off -> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1. There make sure that both Windows communication foundation HTTP Activation and Non-HTTP Activation are checked and then click OK. SkyBon 18:21, August 29, 2011 (UTC)

I tried the fix and it resolved the issue, so it is a confirmed working fix for the problem in case anyone else is having this problem.

Message 2 of 17 (10,029 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Disregard. That did not resolve the problem. It worked the first time I launched after enabling those options, however the next time I launched the game it was back to having to manually login. I still do not have a fix for this issue.

Message 3 of 17 (9,710 Views)

Hero

You only need to login to athenticate DLC the first time after installing it. I think it's best to just turn off the automatic login in the game settings and play without logging in. After they stopped releasing daily news messages, this feature became pointless anyway.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 17 (9,689 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Actually I tried playing it without logging in and it didn't give me access to some of my DLC, such as Lair of the Shadowbroker, hence my even messing with it. (I've had the game since the day it was released and all DLC since they days they were released, and have played them all numerous times). Otherwise I would turn it off since there aren't "news" updates any longer.

Message 5 of 17 (9,682 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am still getting this issue, it is rather annoying, I had stopped playing it because of this issue. I tried this fix, no luck.

Since the game is old I don't imagine EA (not that they ever cared) will fix the issue, if I have to log in every time it gets monotonous especially when the game crashes occasionally and then I have to restart again.

Why have such a stupid feature if they cannot make it work, I have tried reinstalling the game and all the other steps.

Message 6 of 17 (8,764 Views)

@MikelLoki76

Just don't log in.

If your DLCs are authenticated, there is no need to logon to the Cerberus network to play the game.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 7 of 17 (8,746 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

By the way, I actually did resolve this long ago and apparently forgot to update the post. I was using the stand alone DVD installation when I was having this issue. I resorted to uninstalling the stand alone, and installed ME2 via Origin instead (uses the same key as your stand alone copy) and have never had the issue since, launching it via Origin.

Message 8 of 17 (7,975 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Ghostryderflyby I am on origin and have tried all of the above. Have to connect manually. Only started month ago.
Message 9 of 17 (6,361 Views)

@sunwisecircles 

Do you get a "DLC not authorized" error message?

If not there is nothing to gain from the Cerberus network anymore. All the DLC will work without being logged in. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 10 of 17 (6,350 Views)