ME2 Difficulty After Win 10 (Imports and Settings)

by HappyKMore

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

ME2 Difficulty After Win 10 (Imports and Settings)

★★★★★ Novice

I spent most of an evening trying to figure out how to overcome 2 problems.  Note that this is the first time I've tried to run ME2 since upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10.  Note that this is the PC version, and I purchased through Steam.

Problem 1: Being prompted for my EA login every time I start the game, because the auto login box is unchecked every time I start (even though I change it every time).

Problem 2 (much bigger): Cannot import an ME1 save.  I can get to the save that I just finished hours ago, but selecting and clicking the Import Save button does nothing.

I can't find these problems after several attempts to Google different appropriate phrases, and after searching this forum.  However, I eventually solved both problems!

Win 10 is apparently not granting sufficient permissions to the ME2 data folders.  So I fixed both of these problems by right clicking on the Mass Effect 2 folder under Documents/BioWare, selecting the Security tab, then editing permissions.  Then I selected the HomeUsers line; when the permissions boxes appeared, I made sure to select Full Control, then I OKed everything from there.  Voila!  I can make setting changes permanent again and I can start new games from ME1 saves.

Addendum: I'd also had trouble with the configuration tool, so I copied the saves manually.  Later I set the config tool to run as administrator, and it started working again.

Message 1 of 3 (2,763 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ME2 Difficulty After Win 10 (Imports and Settings)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HappyKMore Excellent, thanks for the post! I'm posting here and marking as a solution to draw attention to your post, but if I could mark yours as Solution I would. 

It's not just ME2, I've seen a fair few people reporting issues with permissions with various games, since the W10 switch. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (3,091 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HappyKMore Excellent, thanks for the post! I'm posting here and marking as a solution to draw attention to your post, but if I could mark yours as Solution I would. 

It's not just ME2, I've seen a fair few people reporting issues with permissions with various games, since the W10 switch. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 3 (3,092 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks so much!

After 3 hours of searching you've given me the solution to my problem!

Message 3 of 3 (2,449 Views)