Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

ME2 Difficulty After Win 10 (Imports and Settings)

by HappyKMore

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

ME2 Difficulty After Win 10 (Imports and Settings)

★★★★ Novice

I spent most of an evening trying to figure out how to overcome 2 problems.  Note that this is the first time I've tried to run ME2 since upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10.  Note that this is the PC version, and I purchased through Steam.

Problem 1: Being prompted for my EA login every time I start the game, because the auto login box is unchecked every time I start (even though I change it every time).

Problem 2 (much bigger): Cannot import an ME1 save.  I can get to the save that I just finished hours ago, but selecting and clicking the Import Save button does nothing.

I can't find these problems after several attempts to Google different appropriate phrases, and after searching this forum.  However, I eventually solved both problems!

Win 10 is apparently not granting sufficient permissions to the ME2 data folders.  So I fixed both of these problems by right clicking on the Mass Effect 2 folder under Documents/BioWare, selecting the Security tab, then editing permissions.  Then I selected the HomeUsers line; when the permissions boxes appeared, I made sure to select Full Control, then I OKed everything from there.  Voila!  I can make setting changes permanent again and I can start new games from ME1 saves.

Addendum: I'd also had trouble with the configuration tool, so I copied the saves manually.  Later I set the config tool to run as administrator, and it started working again.

Message 1 of 3 (2,147 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ME2 Difficulty After Win 10 (Imports and Settings)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HappyKMore Excellent, thanks for the post! I'm posting here and marking as a solution to draw attention to your post, but if I could mark yours as Solution I would. 

It's not just ME2, I've seen a fair few people reporting issues with permissions with various games, since the W10 switch. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (2,485 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HappyKMore Excellent, thanks for the post! I'm posting here and marking as a solution to draw attention to your post, but if I could mark yours as Solution I would. 

It's not just ME2, I've seen a fair few people reporting issues with permissions with various games, since the W10 switch. 

Message 2 of 3 (2,486 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks so much!

After 3 hours of searching you've given me the solution to my problem!

Message 3 of 3 (1,843 Views)

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help