Re: Importing ME1 save to ME2 (PC)

by Dwarvesta

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Hero

@3ea5me wrote:

The Mass effect 2>saves file doesn't exsist for me. This is thr only thing stopping me and no one seems to have this problem. Halp

Where are you looking? By default it's Documents > BioWare > Mass Effect 2 > Save

If you have no saves, you may have to create that folder yourself.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 11 of 24 (5,467 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Thank you sir or ma'am. * finally the Mass Effect 2 is configured with my Mass Effect One save.

Message 12 of 24 (5,272 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello there

I read through the whole thread and for a while, I still didn't manage.

First of all, running the configuration utility (double clicking on the .exe) does not work - nothing happens. Same if I run as administrator. (I installed ME1 and ME2 through origin on Windows 10 and for ME2, the extra goodies from the Firewalker Pack were included, and everything was patched up.)

Secondly, I found my ME1 save games and copied it to Document -> BioWare -> Mass Effect 2 -> Save -> ME1 (created the last two directories). I could still not import my character.

Then I realised that you have to copy an actual SAVE file to the directory, NOT only your Char and Profile files! I hope this helps.

Message 13 of 24 (4,781 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Please excuse me for this late question. But don't the save files have 'MassEffectSave' as an extension? Can you leave it at that? Or do you have to rename that (the extension) to '.Save'?

I've found them all from ME1, made the Save folder in the ME2 folder and the ME1 subfolder within the former and copied Char, Profile and .MassEffectSave files into it.  For example, the Char file also has the same extension as the others. 

Message 14 of 24 (4,584 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

A quick game repair and a manual save transfer worked for me. Also, I deleted all the saves in the ME2 save folder, before starting the game repair.  Sadly, my laptop's GTX 555m couldn't run the game long before crashing...Windows 7 64 bit.

Message 15 of 24 (4,014 Views)

★ Guide

These games have had many updates over the past couple years, one of the big ones they did when they moved away from the social site was using the configuration in the installer folder.  This is generally located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries

MassEffect2Config.  When you launch this you will do the following:

1. launch config program

2. click on Save Games

3. click copy Mass Effect Saved Games to the right

4. locate the ME save folder which is usually in C:\Users\user\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save

5. Once you copy that and save it, click the file tab and click save report.

When you launch the game, click on new game and click the import character.  Now sometimes the game wont actually see that save file.  In this case I would remove all folders from the save folder except the actual save you want to import.

I would also recommend disabling the cloud storage at this point as you might overwrite that save or sometimes it just wont see your save.  What I personally would suggest is if this does not work, load the last save file for ME1, save as a new save file and then repeat the steps above.

Note:  IF you do not see a ME save folder in any of your ME games, you can simply just create a "save" folder under the ME title under the documents folder.  This is the default location that they save in.  IF it doesnt show up it generally means that the folder is corrupted, or the saves are being sent to another location on the pc.

Message 16 of 24 (3,994 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This answer does not actually work, at least not anymore with Origin ME installs. I'm playing through the original trilogy in anticipation of Andromeda.

I will continue to hunt online for the answer on how to import characters and will post the answer here if I find it. If it's impossible, then I'll skip Andromeda.

Message 17 of 24 (3,438 Views)

[ Edited ]

@lasixgtt

You can find the answer here. (While the Config tool method also still works, if the save-games are in the right place on your computer.) 

It's also a Sticky in the ME2 section. 

Furthermore, Andromeda is a completely new game with new protagonists and new storyline and without save game import from the trilogy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 18 of 24 (38,665 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hey I know this issue is getting older by the year...(Greetings from 2018) but I thought I would input my solution, just in case in works for someone later on, because I found this thread first, but none of these solutions worked for me. So, I thought I would drop a possible solution of other's to try. Here goes...

1. Locate your ME1 save game folder. It should be somewhere around here: C:\Users\<Your User>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save\

2. Copy your most recent save and the .masseffectprofile

3. Go to you ME2 save game folder. It should be somewhere around here: C:\Users\Matt-i7\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save\ ( If the 'Save' folder isn't there already, just create it)

4. Inside this 'Save folder' create another folder called 'ME1'

5. Once inside the 'ME1' folder, paste the files.

6. Make a copy of your save game(Right-click, Copy, and Paste within the same folder)

7. Rename the copy 'Char_01-60-1-2-5-21-11-2009-56-24.MassEffectSave'

8. Done.

This worked for me. Apparently the save game importer in ME2 doesn't recognize the file unless it's formatted like this. Also, since it's only for formatting, it doesn't seem to matter that the date in the save's name is from 2009 xD. Anyways, Good luck Everyone. Hope this helps!

Message 19 of 24 (2,859 Views)

@Sayreign784

I really appreciate that you trying to help others, but the same answer is in the post directly above your post and in the pined post section of the Mass Effect 2 section.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 20 of 24 (2,846 Views)