Garrus Recruitment/Archangel Mission - Black Screen on PC

by amcozy

Original Post

Garrus Recruitment/Archangel Mission - Black Screen on PC

★★ Novice

I see two multiple years-old posts on this quest issue but neither was resolved and I've been unsuccessful in trying solutions to similar issues on other quests posted to the forums, so here we go:

On a fresh install of ME2 I imported an ME1 save and started the game without issues.  I almost immediately went to Omega to grab Garrus after a quick trip to the Citadel.  At the climax of the Archangel mission, at an autosave point, my screen fades to black and stays there - I can shoot my weapon and hear the game music playing, can press ESC to get to the main menu, etc. but my gameplay screen is completely black. No visable UI or anything, just black.

I attempted several solutions I saw here on the forums without success - Ran the Origin repair function, didn't help.  Uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck.  Used the -nomoviestartup shortcut trick, no luck.  Enabled console commands and tried the viewmode unlit/lit trick, no luck.  ALT + TAB and adjusted to windowed from fullscreen, no luck.  Uninstalled again and reinstalled without any DLC content, no luck.

I verified that my graphics drivers are up to date.  As mentioned above, this is an install through the Origin system, not Steam.  Any thoughts?  My DxDiag is attached with system information and I'm hoping is an obvious fix.  Appreciate any help!!

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Message 1 of 5 (900 Views)

Re: Garrus Recruitment/Archangel Mission - Black Screen on PC

★★ Novice

So oddly enough there was an update to my graphics drivers today so I installed that and opted to try a completely new save file not using an imported save from ME1, but rather using the Genesis function to make major choices so it’s still basically my Shepard. I still have no solution to my issue but just in case anyone sees that I don’t have today’s driver update installed, I’m definitely doing that too.

Really hoping someone has experienced this issue and knows a fix - I’m really motivated to play the game but don’t want to waste my time if I can’t complete a mandatory story mission.

Message 2 of 5 (862 Views)

@amcozy 

Did the Mission worked on this new Playthrough?

Did you altered your Save games with an Save editor?

Do you use Mods?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 5 (843 Views)

★★ Novice

Haven’t quite gotten there yet - I’ll admit I got frustrated and lost a bit of motivation.  I do not use any mods, but did enable console commands during the problem solving process to try the “viewmode unlit” command but that’s the most I’ve done. Can console commands cause issues like these? 

Message 4 of 5 (834 Views)

@amcozy 

amcozy  schrieb:

Haven’t quite gotten there yet - I’ll admit I got frustrated and lost a bit of motivation.  I do not use any mods, but did enable console commands during the problem solving process to try the “viewmode unlit” command but that’s the most I’ve done. Can console commands cause issues like these? 

Usually not. The “viewmode unlit” command is only useful in ME1, but the problem was there before ,if I get you right.

It might be a corrupt save game.

Playing with the graphic setting (setting anything to minimal, trying Windowed mode or the other way around) is worth a shot.
A second game repair and checking your hard drive for errors might also be a good idea.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 5 (827 Views)