Crash before Main Menu

by KibouSN

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Crash before Main Menu

★★★★ Novice

When trying to play Mass Effect 2, I get all the way to the "press start" menu, it goes through the transition, and then promptly crashes. Can someone help me with this?

Message 1 of 9 (2,213 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Crash before Main Menu

@KibouSN

One of the leading causes of the crash MSVCR80.dll, is save file corruption.  You may want to see if you can rename your save folder and then check to see if it loads...AFTER making sure your cloud saves is off.  IF the game loads, then I would load back saves slowly until you find the one or ones that are corrupted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (2,619 Views)

All Replies

Not without information....

simple things to start, like Platform you are playing on??

Specs/DxDiag if on PC...??

Have you tried repairing install/Verifying install??

Have you tried restarting the system??

Is ME2 fully installed and was if fully installed BEFORE you started trying to play or add dlc??

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 2 of 9 (2,200 Views)

[ Edited ]

@KibouSN

If you play on a PC:

Create a DxDiag in text file format, also go to your Reliability monitor (Press the windows key and "R" at the same time and copy or type "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) in > ENTER and look if it has ME2 entries.

If yes double click at the last one, copy it to the clipboard, (Bottom left corner) save it to a text file and load it up together with the DxDiag. You can do that with the "choose file" button at the bottom right corner of the reply window.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 9 (2,185 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here's the information I got. 

Don't ask why the path is like that. I thought removing the game from the Origin Games folder would prevent updates that would change how the game would operate. 

Message 4 of 9 (2,175 Views)

[ Edited ]

@KibouSN

• Make sure the game and Origin is closed.
  • Go to your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mass Effect 2\__Installer\vc\vc2005\redist" folder and run the "vcredist_x86.exe" as Administrator (right click the exe > run as Administrator) > reboot > test.

Furthermore, you can prevent updates for games directly in Origin > (In Origin, menu top left corner > Origin > Application settings > Application > Client update > Automatic game updates> OFF

Moving the Game directory will not prevent updates.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 5 of 9 (2,159 Views)

@KibouSN

One of the leading causes of the crash MSVCR80.dll, is save file corruption.  You may want to see if you can rename your save folder and then check to see if it loads...AFTER making sure your cloud saves is off.  IF the game loads, then I would load back saves slowly until you find the one or ones that are corrupted.

Message 6 of 9 (2,620 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Welp, I feel stupid for not knowing this. Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 9 (2,108 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue

Message 8 of 9 (1,134 Views)

@danapmonster 

• Turn off "Cloud storage" in Origin.
    (Origin menu > Origin > Application Settings > Install & Saves > Cloud storage > Off (Grey)
  • If you use Steam you don't have to do anything, unless you have added Mass Effect 2 manually to Streams cloud save function.
  • Make sure Origin or Steam are completely closed.
  • Go to "C:\Users\>your username>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" folder and move the "Save" folder and the "BIOGame" folder to your desktop.
    (Just to make this clear, the named folders must be gone from the "C:\Users\>your username>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" path.)
  • Test.

If the game works then it is likely that one of the last saves you made is corrupt.

Message 9 of 9 (1,121 Views)