Re: Communication with the mass effect 2 server was interrupted or has timed out

by SilverHawk730

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Communication with the mass effect 2 server was interrupted or has timed out?

★★★★ Novice

Is there any problem with the Mass Effect 2 server this week? I played fine and could connect without problems last week and now that I just bought a new dlc and I can't authorize it because I can't connect to the cerberus network.. I can't even put my login and password. 3 days and no changes.  

Plus: I'm on pc and I can connect to mass effect 3 with no problems and any other origin games work just fine

Please any help would be welcome. 

Frown

Message 1 of 46 (39,713 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Communication with the mass effect 2 server was interrupted or has timed out

★★★★ Novice

I would like to share that I finally fixed the problem. After many hours researching online I came across this thread:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/98446-unable-to-connect-to-cerberus-network/

There they recommended that if you had problems connecting you should check the file HOSTS in your windows folder... actually the file is in this address C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on windows 10

I checked mine and there were weird lines there, I deleted them and voila Standard smile Could connect again! hope this help anyone else having the same problems.

View in thread

Message 8 of 46 (43,997 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@SilverHawk730 Does the issue still persist for you?

If it does, as a test is it possible to try installing/authorizing on another PC?

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 46 (39,608 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Still with the problem and unfortunately I don't have other pc available to test..... all the other games connect without problems... all the dragon ages... mass effect 3 ... I even tried to install the version of the game i have on steam and still the same problem...I tried to download the dlcs from the bioware website and no changes.... I just can't understand..... really sad situation.. i wish there was some kind of program to authenticate my dlc outside of the game.... i simply won't be able to play any new dlc...

Message 3 of 46 (39,603 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. What DLC did you get, and where did you purchase it from?

You might want to reach out to support to get the DLC refunded, but hopfeully we can get to the bottom of this. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 46 (39,596 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I bought Kasumi - Stolen Memory on Origin... thing is I had to buy bioware points.. to buy the DLC ... is it possible to get a refund on bioware points? to be honest i would like to be able to play and not a refund.... but if this problem won't be solved I'd like a refund... I'd really appreciate a solution one way or another... 

Message 5 of 46 (39,590 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra info, I grabbed an account with Kasumi on it, and I encountered the same issue with the activation process. 

We're looking into this. 

Testing this on 2 accounts with the game I notice that one worked and one didn't. The one that encountered the issue had "2" copies of the game on the account, I wonder do you have more than 1 copy of ME2 linked to your account? It normally shouldn't cause any issues, but it seems to be the most obvious single thread to look into at this point. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 46 (39,579 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I only use the email I registered my account on origin to login. How can I make sure there aren't two kasumis on my account?

I checked my registered content on my email and the image shows what's there:

Message 7 of 46 (39,561 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would like to share that I finally fixed the problem. After many hours researching online I came across this thread:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/98446-unable-to-connect-to-cerberus-network/

There they recommended that if you had problems connecting you should check the file HOSTS in your windows folder... actually the file is in this address C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on windows 10

I checked mine and there were weird lines there, I deleted them and voila Standard smile Could connect again! hope this help anyone else having the same problems.

Message 8 of 46 (43,998 Views)

Community Manager

@SilverHawk730 Excellent, thanks for coming back with the resolution.

Please let us know if you have any further issues but hopefully you should be sorted for good. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 9 of 46 (39,539 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same probs, you said you have deleted werd line but wich in my folder ther is 5 files (hosts, lmhosts.sam, networks, protocol, services) and none seems weird

Message 10 of 46 (39,204 Views)