Cloud Save Conflict

by tessa-uso

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Cloud Save Conflict

★★★★★ Newbie

Every time I try to play, it says there's a conflict between the cloud and local files.  Whether I click on "use local files" or "use cloud files" it will look like it's going to load the game, then just gives me the exact same cloud save conflict message.  At this rate I'm willing to abandon my saves.  I just want to play the game.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 5 (6,284 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cloud Save Conflict

[ Edited ]

@tessa-uso

Look if the save games are present in the "Save" folder under "Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2"

There should be folders with the name of your characters and "Save_xxxx.pcsav" files inside this folders.

If yes, make a backup of the "Save" folder.

If the saves are in this location, disable the Origin cloud save feature.

(In Origin > menu top left > Origin > Application settings > Install & Saves > Cloud storage > OFF (gray)

Don't worry, the saves games will remain in the "Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2\Save" folder.

You might want to back them up manually from  time to time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (6,440 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@tessa-uso

Look if the save games are present in the "Save" folder under "Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2"

There should be folders with the name of your characters and "Save_xxxx.pcsav" files inside this folders.

If yes, make a backup of the "Save" folder.

If the saves are in this location, disable the Origin cloud save feature.

(In Origin > menu top left > Origin > Application settings > Install & Saves > Cloud storage > OFF (gray)

Don't worry, the saves games will remain in the "Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2\Save" folder.

You might want to back them up manually from  time to time.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 5 (6,441 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi!  Sorry to dig up a year-old thread, but it seemed the newest which was also appropriate.

I have the same issue going on, and while disabling cloud saves works, I'd like to use the cloud saves since I travel a lot and would like to use more than one computer.  Whenever I re-enable cloud saves, it overwrites my save data with apparently nothing. I've kept backups while debugging it, so I've only lost an hour or so of progress, but it's still frustrating.  Does anyone have any advice to get cloud saves to work?

Message 3 of 5 (5,781 Views)

@krispykremeguy42 

Try to clear your Origin cache.
All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

• Close Origin completely. (Make sure cloud save is disabled)
    (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder.
    (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder.
  • In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on "AppData".
  • Open the "Local" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder.
  • Restart your PC.

After you restart Origin, enable cloud save.

Start ME2 > You should be prompted what save you want to use, local or cloud. > Make sure to choose local.

Message 4 of 5 (5,760 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Holger1405 

My issue is now fixed!  I'm not sure how much of it was from clearing the cache, but that was certainly a good thing to know how to do anyway.  Thanks so much!

On my laptop, I have a SSD boot drive (C:\) and a much larger HDD (D:\) for everything else.  I had used a symbolic link to move my Bioware directory from the Documents library to a location on the D drive because it seemed like a good idea at the time.  It could find the save files, so I didn't think about it (plus, I had made the link more than a year ago, and forgot I even did it).  I was only reminded when reverting all of the application settings again and pointing Origin to the appropriate game directory.  When I removed the symbolic link and moved the Bioware folder back to the C drive, it continues to work just fine (rather than working once and then overwriting it every time thereafter). 

I don't know if that made sense - let me know if I should elaborate.

From what I can tell, there's probably a bug with the Origin cloud saves where it inconsistently checks for symbolic links.  I've also reported it via the Origin error reporter within the Origin application.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Edit: Clearing the cache also made Origin uncertain as to whether or not I had most of my DLC installed or not.  The button said "Download" rather than "Details" for about half of them, but it wouldn't let me download them (which is probably good, because they already were installed and are reflected in the game itself).  Repairing the game caused Origin to crash (but it worked after restarting).  This probably occurred because the games weren't saved in the default location, as I mentioned earlier.

Message 5 of 5 (5,742 Views)