Can't launch ME2 from Launcher or anywhere for that matter.

by Maviak

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't launch ME2 from Launcher or anywhere for that matter.

★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone. First time poster here.

I'm having an issue with running Mass Effect 2 from the Origin launcher. I can run ME1 and ME3 just fine. This is only affecting ME2 for some reason. Every time that I try to launch the game, it will run for like 3 seconds, then it closes back out to the launcher. I have read over several posts on the several different forums, and have done all the "solutions" that I have found. I have even contacted support twice about it and have done what they have instructed. Still nothing works. Here is a list of things that I have tried so far.

-Rename MassEffect2.exe as MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Rename ME2Game.exe as MassEffect2.exe

-Uninstalled/re-installed the game 3 times.

-Repaired the game more times then that.

-Tired running the game in offline mode.

-Turned off the cloud storage option.

-Tried linking the game through Steam.

-Did everything the tech support person told me to do in regards to the DNS,

-Allowed the game access through the firewall

-Turned off my Anit-virus

I think that is all of it. If anyone can give me a hand here, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to play the trilogy in order and I just finished ME1. But I don't want to start ME3 until I've done ME2.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7 (1,077 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't launch ME2 from Launcher or anywhere for that matter.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

No on both.

UPDATE:

After doing everything that was suggested over the past few days, I woke up this morning and, just out of curiosity, to ran the repair function on the game. After it was completed I tried to start it up. And, to my surprise, it actually started!!! I don't know what fixed it, if it was a combination of several things that did. All that really matters to me at the moment, is that it's fixed. So thank you for all those that gave me advice/ideas on the matter. Now to see if it will actually stay running long enough for me to do a run through.

View in thread

Message 7 of 7 (955 Views)

All Replies

@Maviak  Please go into this folder:

[install path]\Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Game\ME2\BioGame

and move the Config folder to the desktop.  Then try to play.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (1,059 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That didn't help either. Here is the report that you requested. Thanks for looking in to the problem for me.

Oh.. just an FYI. I'm not running the Legendary Edition. It's just a standard copy of the game. I don't know if that matters or not.

Message 3 of 7 (1,049 Views)

@Maviak 

I moved your thread to the Mass Effect 2 board.

• Turn off "Cloud storage" in Origin.
    (Origin menu > Origin > Application Settings > Install & Saves > Cloud storage > Off (Grey)
  • If you use Steam you don't have to do anything, unless you have added Mass Effect 2 manually to Streams cloud save function.
  • Make sure Origin or Steam are completely closed.
  • Go to "C:\Users\>your username>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" folder and move the "Save" folder and the "BIOGame" folder to your desktop.
    (Just to make this clear, the named folders must be gone from the "C:\Users\>your username>\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2" path.)
  • Reboot > Test.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 7 (1,009 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Turned cloud storage off and removed the folders that you asked me to. Still no change.

Edit:

I don't know if this matters or not, but I have tried running it from Origin, using the MassEffect2.exe and MassEffect2Launcher.exe. Now with the MassEffect2Launcher.exe, I get a pop-up that says: Invalid or missing .par file. Please reinstall your game. I received this error a couple of times before, and I reinstalled on both occasions. But that didn't solve the problem.

Message 5 of 7 (1,001 Views)

@Maviak 

Do you use a Proxy Server or a VPN?

If so disable them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 6 of 7 (966 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

No on both.

UPDATE:

After doing everything that was suggested over the past few days, I woke up this morning and, just out of curiosity, to ran the repair function on the game. After it was completed I tried to start it up. And, to my surprise, it actually started!!! I don't know what fixed it, if it was a combination of several things that did. All that really matters to me at the moment, is that it's fixed. So thank you for all those that gave me advice/ideas on the matter. Now to see if it will actually stay running long enough for me to do a run through.

Message 7 of 7 (956 Views)