Can't connect to Cerberus network in Mass Effect 2

by Sir_Jimmys

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't connect to Cerberus network in Mass Effect 2

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

So I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy on Origin and when I opened Mass Effect 2 and tried to connect to the Cerberus Network I couldn't. The exact message I got was: "Communication with the Mass Effect 2 server was interrupted or has timed out. Please try again later."

How can I register my DLCs so I can play them?

Message 1 of 36 (30,042 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't connect to Cerberus network in Mass Effect 2

@Sir_Jimmys

It should work if you set your phone as Hotspot and connect it with the PC via USB cable.

The Port 80 is the http port, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I am not one hundred percent sure but I doubt that a authorization on a other PC would help.

If that still not works, try this:

Download the "masseffect-binkw32-master" file from here.

Unzip the file and go to the "masseffect-binkw32-master\masseffect-binkw32-master\ME2\Release" folder.

Copy the two "binkw32.dll" to the "Mass Effect 2\Binaries" folder. (overwrite)

Steam = ">Drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect 2\Binaries""
Origin =">Drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 2\Binaries"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 12 of 36 (32,154 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

Mass Effect 2 is seven years old now.  Check the stickies on top in here for where to go about the DLC downloads and other things that formerly were part of that network. 

Message 2 of 36 (29,959 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Sir_Jimmys 

Have you learned what you needed to know by reading the forum's FAQ postings? 

Message 3 of 36 (29,930 Views)

★★★ Novice

I did, but nothing actually helped with my problem. The message is still there and since I cannot log in to Cerberus Network i cannot get my DLC authorized thus I cannot play them. I did look for solutions at other posts that reported the same problem but none of the possible solutions that were given there seem to work. The Bioware Social Network didn't help either. It does show all the DLC that I own but still, whenever I try to log in to the Cerberus Network to authorize my DLC I always get the message I said before.

Message 4 of 36 (29,920 Views)

@Sir_Jimmys

What did you tried already?

Are you on a Private network or on a university network?

Did you try to repair the game. (in Origin > Game Library > right click ME2 > Repair)

Did you Restart your router?

If that not helps, shut down your Windows firewall and disable the real-time scanner of your antivirus software. (just for testing purpose, don't forget to activate the firewall and the antivirus software later on.)

Should it work after you disabled the firewall, here is a description how to allow a program to communicate through the firewall

If that not helps here is a EA connection troubleshooting guide.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 5 of 36 (29,907 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am on a private network and I have tried all the things you suggested. I also, reinstalled Origin, reinstalled the game, deleted any VPN programs I had, I tried updating the game, I even deleted my Anti-Virus progam and tried again. Nothing helped. I still can't connect.

Message 6 of 36 (29,906 Views)

@Sir_Jimmys

Can you try to connect on another Network or can you use a Smartphone as a Personal Hotspot to bypass your network?

It also could be a third party application that hinders the connection, so you could try a clean boot.

Message 7 of 36 (29,894 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't think I can connect to another network because I'm on a desktop pc and I'm connected to my network via cable. I did try a clean boot but it didn't help. The problem still continues.

Message 8 of 36 (29,888 Views)

@Sir_Jimmys

Does your Origin password contain any special characters?

If so change it to a Password with letters and numbers only.

This ports must be open on your PC and on the Router for ME2 to communicate:

TCP 42100
TCP Port Range 15200-15300
TCP Port Range 9945-9994
TCP 80

If you or someone in your family has a Smartphone with a data option it should be possible to connect your PC using that Smartphone as a Personal Hotspot. (Just Google your Smartphone model with "Personal Hotspot" to find out how. The smartphone should be connected directly to the internet and not to your local network. Remember, you just need to connect once, after that the the DLCs work offline without restrictions.)

Message 9 of 36 (29,866 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

My password does not contain any special characters, just letters and numbers. Also even if I can create a WiFi hotspot with my phone there is no way I can connect my PC with that hotspot since it doesn't have an antenna to allow wireless connections. I did try though manually opening the ports you mentioned on my router but apparently port 80 is already being used. Even with the clean boot the port is still being used. I tried identifying the process/service that uses that port with the netstat commmand on the command prompt but it said that it couldn't get information about that process/service. I can assume that the problem is my PC, so if I download the game on another PC and authorize the DLC from there will they work on this one as well?

Message 10 of 36 (29,843 Views)