Re: ssleay32.dll missing

by beware55

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ssleay32.dll missing

★ Apprentice

A friend of mine just bought Mass Effect and it doesn't launch. We've closed Origin and opened it with Administrator rights, still nothing.

When we right-clicked the MassEffect.exe in the Binaries map in Mass Effect we clicked troubleshoot compatibility. It said ssleay32.dll is missing.

I tried to locate the file and it seems that Origin's root map has ssleay32.dll and so does the x64 submap, so I don't really understand why it's saying it's missing that DLL file.

While comparing his Mass Effect folder with mine, I noticed that he had an additional map in his Binaries map which was called Core.

There was another ssleay32.dll file inside and none of these three DLL files were the same size.

For some reason he was also missing the MassEffectLauncher.exe, so I've send him mine + MassEffectLauncher.xml and the launcher map located in the data submap. The launcher was up and running, so we pressed play and it opened Origin to launch the game. Still the same problem, it wouldn't launch... just didn't do anything.

I opened MassEffectConfig.exe to see if there was something wrong with his version, but he has the same version as I do: V1.02.

We have the same operating system: Windows 7 64-bit.

I replaced all his ssleay32.dll files with mine with an exception on the ssleay32.dll located in his Core map, because I do not have this Core map in my Binaries map.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Message 1 of 22 (45,584 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

Right.  But after you put it there, try installing the 1.02 patch.  Never mind that the program thinks it is up to date.  It may lie.  Mine did.  The link I provided goes into more detail.

View in thread

Message 6 of 22 (49,741 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Ive got the exact same problem all Origin did was refer me to this page..

Message 2 of 22 (45,444 Views)

★ Apprentice

Do you have a map called Core in your Binaries folder located in the Mass Effect map? I would like to know this to see if our problems are identical.

Message 3 of 22 (45,440 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I experienced this error exactly once while I was trying to figure out my problems.  I think I uninstalled and reinstalled and never experienced it again.  But I don't recall.  

I know it's rapidly becoming my cure-all, but the solution to my problem might be related to yours.  Do you have MassEffectLauncher.exe at the root of the Mass Effect directory?  (eg. not binaries, but right before that)

- me -

Message 4 of 22 (45,426 Views)

★ Apprentice

He has reinstalled the game two or three times, but the results were the same. The MassEffectLauncher.exe is indeed located in the root map called Mass Effect. I've put it in there myself because fresh isntallation never gave him any MassEffectLauncher.exe, nor the required files to make it work.

Message 5 of 22 (45,424 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Right.  But after you put it there, try installing the 1.02 patch.  Never mind that the program thinks it is up to date.  It may lie.  Mine did.  The link I provided goes into more detail.

Message 6 of 22 (49,742 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have send him the patch and has applied it. Like you've said in your solution topic it's asking for a registration code. He currently waiting for the live-chat, I'll let you know if he'll be able to play when they gave him a new registration code.

Message 7 of 22 (45,410 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hey guys.

I had the exact same problem Sentinel described down to a T and spent hours with EA online tech support staff (3 of them) before getting the problem solved by the last guy. Thumbs up for Joseph Standard smile I was missing my Product Code (For reasons unknown - Likely a Origin glitch).

If you open up your Origin and go to your games library you should be able to get your "Product Code" by right clicking on your games and selecting "Show Game Details". If the game doesn't show a Product Code then that is where the issue lies. If you don't have the Product Code then everything seems to go straight to hell when trying to get the game to work (Including steps in other links for the same problem).

After establishing that I did not have a product code for ME (Though I did for all my other games including ME 2 and ME 3 which I also purchased at the same time), the EA game tech got me to exit origin whilst he reset my game details. All I had to do was follow a link and inuput a game code that the Tech gave me and then download the game again (It could be worse right? Hah).

If you have the same issue that I did, ensure that you contact EA support chat through the below link or an out of origin link.
https://help.ea.com/uk/contact-us/contact/chat
If you contact them through the Origin client, when you close the client as one of the steps to fix the issue you will also lose your live chat.

Really hopes this helps others because It was frustrating as hell for me Standard smile

Message 8 of 22 (45,040 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What link?  Also, I can't get the patch to install.

Message 9 of 22 (43,072 Views)

★★ Novice

you sire are an absolite genious, thank you so much this was the main thing stopping my game working

Message 10 of 22 (42,711 Views)