mass effect saves issue

by Minacrass

Original Post

Accepted Solution

mass effect saves issue

★ Apprentice

Hello!

After a longer while I decided to play Mass Effect, starting from the very beginning. Since I didn't have my CDs with me anymore (I moved out to a different country, and left them there) I decided "what the heck, I will just buy the first game for 3 EUR". I'm just writing that down to let You know that I have not used the Origin version before, this is the first time.

So here is my problem: None of the saved games work. The game doesn't show any errors or anything like that when I save my game (both autosave and the normal save seem to be working), but then when I try to load the game, or if I exit and turn the game on again, it only lets me start a new career. None of the saves show up, as if I never saved in the first place, just empty... All of my preferences and options remain as they are, just the saved games don't show up anywhere...

I tried updating, I tried re-installing, I tried the Origin "repair" function. Nothing works... 

Please help T_T

Message 1 of 73 (10,933 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: mass effect saves issue

[ Edited ]

You did it exactly as I said?

OK, then go to your  "DefaultEngine.ini" folder for Mass Effect and make a copy of the "DefaultEngine.ini".

Open the original "DefaultEngine.ini"  Go to the  "SavePath=" line and change it to: SavePath="D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\BioGame\Save" with the quotes!

(Your second drive drive letter is D:\ and Mass Effect is now installed in the "Origin Games" folder on that drive, right?)

Save the file.

Start a new game and play until you can save by hand for the first time.  > test

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 52 of 73 (16,756 Views)

All Replies

★ Apprentice

Anybody? T_T

Message 2 of 73 (10,888 Views)

★ Novice

If you're running on Windows 10, the game may need to be run as Administrator. Other than that, I can't think of anything that would interfere with saving.

Message 3 of 73 (10,875 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm running the game on Windows 7 through Origin.

I tried running it as administrator, and still the same issue... 

All of my careers seem to be acknowledged (the preferences are saved when I try making a new career), and when I try to load the game, all of the careers seem to exist, I can choose between different "Shepards", but then no save files show up, not even autosave. Also, the game itself forces me to build a new career every time I turn it on, without the option to continue where I left off...

I have the updated version (at least I think so, because I did the update through Origin), I re-installed a couple of times, I made sure the save folder is not "read-only" and I ran the game as administrator, still the same issue...

Message 4 of 73 (10,865 Views)

Hero

Make sure your save folder is not set to 'read only'.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 73 (10,843 Views)

★ Apprentice

windows 7 is not exactly letting me fully remove the "read-only" attribute (I've tried MANY things, the square stays blue), but from what I have read that should not be a problem... So I have no idea what to do :/

Message 6 of 73 (10,840 Views)

Cloud saving also don't work?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 7 of 73 (10,806 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm not sure how to check that... I tried syncing my "save files" with the cloud ones - didn't work. I tried syncing them with the ones of my disk - didn't work :/

Message 8 of 73 (10,803 Views)

[ Edited ]

In Origin Top left corner click "Origin" > "Application Settings" scroll down to "Cloud storage" If it is enabled, disable it or vice versa.

Make also sure that your Origin Client is the newest version.

You saves are under "(Drive):\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save"?

Also go to "My Games" right click on Mass Effect > "View game details"  > "Cloud storage" How are the settings?

Message 9 of 73 (10,799 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay, so I checked, the cloud storage was enabled (so I disabled it), and in the game details of Mass Effect it was disabled (so I enabled it). Didn't work Frown 

I tried disabling the cloud storage in the Mass Effect game details as well, didn't work...

Basically as far as I can say (I'm not a tech savvy person, I'm sorry), the game itself seems to work properly, it says the game is saved successfully (same for auto save and quick save) etc. The options preferences are being kept as well. What the problem is, no save files are actually created... when I go to the "(Drive):\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save", there is only one file there named Profile.MassEffectProfile. Nothing more...

Message 10 of 73 (10,786 Views)