Re: mass effect 1 characters turn black and box like solved

by TheKingPossums

Original Post

Accepted Solution

mass effect 1 characters turn black and box like solved

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

today my mass effect characters turn into black like boxs on this one level. I do not know the name of the level but every time I get to the building my characters turn into black like box shapes 
here is a link to my youtube with the video showing what is actually happening as to give a more accurate discription of the problem at hand. please and thank you to all for your help. about 20 seconds into the video the map opens up and name is displayed. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAto_7SOo8k&list=UU5HiG9GQw0Cv846m_txm9yw

s
ee my post of the steam forums a commentor gave me the link and it worked.

Message 1 of 21 (53,141 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

posting the fix:

go to Documents/BioWare/MassEffect folder open BioInput, add line ConsoleKey= Tilde  
 under [Engine.Console] then in game press the Tilde key  ` to open console and then type viewmode unlit.

that worked for me so it may work for you. I hear this problem is with AMD processors which I do have.

Becareful what you do in there cause I do not know if you could mess something up or not. I do not take responsibility if you mess up your PC or game. Someone on the steam forums lead me to the fix and it worked for me so I am passing it along to you people here.
Happy gaming. 

View in thread

Message 3 of 21 (53,307 Views)

All Replies

Re: mass effect 1 characters turn black and box like

★ Apprentice

solved.

Message 2 of 21 (53,081 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

posting the fix:

go to Documents/BioWare/MassEffect folder open BioInput, add line ConsoleKey= Tilde  
 under [Engine.Console] then in game press the Tilde key  ` to open console and then type viewmode unlit.

that worked for me so it may work for you. I hear this problem is with AMD processors which I do have.

Becareful what you do in there cause I do not know if you could mess something up or not. I do not take responsibility if you mess up your PC or game. Someone on the steam forums lead me to the fix and it worked for me so I am passing it along to you people here.
Happy gaming. 

Message 3 of 21 (53,308 Views)

Hero

You are right that is indeed an issue with AMD processors, more specifically the AMD FX lineup. My Phenom, for instance, does not have the issue.

The fix you posted is an older one, but it serves its purpose. Some people dislike the fix because they don't like the look of unlit character models, but at least you see what's going on. I once tried contacting both BioWare and AMD on Twitter regarding this issue, but neither commented on the issue.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 21 (53,063 Views)

★★★ Novice

I never had any problems playing ME1 on old PC(AMD Athlon) so this was a massive bummer to discover this glitch with my AMD Trinity APU.

You would think this would be addressed when EA put out the ME Trilogy pack.  Maybe someday we'll get an anniversery edition, untill then just bear with the 'viewmode' fix.  Or spring for a Intel processor if you have the cash.

Message 5 of 21 (53,046 Views)

★★★ Novice

2019. thanks for the fix! enjoying another playthrough with an FX processor. made my day.

Message 6 of 21 (50,659 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@trinity12 If you're interested, other than the viewmode workaround, there's now also a mod that should fix the issue entirely.

https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/71

Edit: There's a newer mod that's more straightforward and not ad supported, but may only work on Ryzen CPUs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/181

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 21 (50,639 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Fred_vdp Thanks for this, I was hoping there would be a better solution than the unlit method.
Message 8 of 21 (50,181 Views)

★★★ Novice

Don't use this nexus mod.  It crashes/freezes the game and starts a disk-write runaway process.

Message 9 of 21 (47,773 Views)

★★ Novice
Just wanted to drop on this thread that even the newer AMD Ryzen 7 2700X has this issue. Bug started when i reached peak 15 on noveria.
Message 10 of 21 (45,498 Views)