exe File Problems

by wdya

Original Post

exe File Problems

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I've been trying to add Origin's Mass Effect 1 to Steam as a non-Steam game for use with the Steam controller. It recognizes the game in my list of programs, but when I add it and press play, it briefly says "Performing first-time setup" - every time - then requests Admin access, then nothing happens when I give it. If I run Steam in administrator mode, it still flashes the performing first-time setup window, but otherwise gives no indication I clicked play at all.

Even more confusing, opening MassEffect.exe directly from File Explorer can't launch the game either. It asks for Admin access and then does nothing when I give it. Only with the Play button in Origin can I get the game to open at all.

I've also tried adding Origin as the game to Steam and launching ME manually once it opens, but the Steam overlay stays on Origin and doesn't hook to ME.

What could be causing this issue with the exe file?

Message 1 of 4 (774 Views)

Betreff: exe File Problems

[ Edited ]

@wdya 

Try to set compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2 in the "MassEffect.exe".

• Go to your ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries" folder.
  • Right click the "MassEffect.exe" > Properties > Compatibility > set compatibility mode for.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 4 (756 Views)

★ Novice

I went and checked and it was already set for compatibility with Windows XP service pack 3. I changed it to SP2, but that didn't make a difference.

Message 3 of 4 (742 Views)

@wdya 

Sorry to keep you waiting. Somehow I overlooked the email notification.

1. Disable all compatibility modes in the "MassEffect.exe".
  2. Remove Mass Effect from the non Steam game list.
  3. Rename the "MassEffect.exe" to "ME1.exe"
  4. Try if the game is starting from this Exe.
  5. If yes, add the "ME1.exe" to Steam as a non steam game.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 4 (685 Views)