Re: Windows 8 mass effect doesn't start

by leisuretime419

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I was having the same problems too.  Win8/64bit.

To fix, they're right about capatability mode.   You will have to set it up twice 1) for the Mass Effect 1 config program and 2) for the actual game executable.   Both can be found in the same filepath location...here the path on my system:

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries

Within the Binaries folder, look for the two "Application" file types 1) MassEffect   2) MassEffectConfig

so....

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries\ MassEffectConfig.exe

**Run that one first and get the game setup with your graphic card prefs, etc..

then run

Message 11 of 21 (4,181 Views)

★★ Novice

I had the same problem, I have a box copy of Mass Effect I wanted to play it again after installing Windows 8 64Bit but after the instalation game didn't run. I had the Pinnacle Station expasion from Origin store so I tried to run the game from origin but that didn't help either what worked was I right click on Mass Effect shortcut on Desktop and from properties I made it run on Windows 7 on compatibility and as administarator and it worked. For most games allowing them to run with admin rights works I am glad that worked with Mass Effect aswell I wanted to share the good news Confusedmileyhappy:

Message 12 of 21 (3,561 Views)

★ Novice

doesn't work

Message 13 of 21 (3,509 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Here are my abbreviated instructions for this problem.  Try them in the order listed, attempting to start the game after each one.

Folder paths are the ones for my EA/Origin install on Win8 Pro/64-bit.  For other installs, (like Steam) adjust the folder paths as appropriate.

ME1 Doesn't Install/Launch (on PC)

1.  If running on Win7 or Win8, must install the 1.02 patch.

2.  If installing/launching via EA/Origin;

a)  Set Origin.exe (in the \"Program Files (x86)\Origin" folder) to "Run as Administrator". 

Must close EA/Origin completely before restarting it. 

(Don't forget to right-click and "Exit" on the icon in the systray.)

b)  Disable "Sync with Cloud" (at least until everything is working properly.)

3.  Set MassEffect.exe (in the "\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries" folder) to run in "WinXP (SP3)" compatibility mode.

4.  Set MassEffectLauncher.exe (in the "\"Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\\Mass Effect" folder) to "Run as Administrator".

5.  Profit!  Confusedmileyhappy:

===================================================

NOTE:  If you get to Step 4. and MassEffectLauncher.exe is not  present on your machine and the game won't start, or if the problem is something with the CD-Key/Product Code ("Iinvalid" or "Already in use"), you'll need an EA Game Advisor.  They can be reached through the Help Center.

After getting to the Help Center and filling out the required information, (Product/Problem/Platform)
look for the "Chat Now", "Call Now", or "Email Now" buttons, not the AHQ "Ask Now" one.  (You've already done that!)
The options you see may vary depending on your region and the time-of-day.

If you select "Chat Now" or "Call Now", be sure you have enough time (at least one hour) to wait before being connected to someone.  Confusedmileyfrustrated:

===================================================

Good Luck!

Message 14 of 21 (3,504 Views)

★★ Novice

For some reason, I cannot set the Mass Effect executable file in Compatability mode. The Compatability mode tab doesn't appear when I go to Properties. It works on every other program I've tried, though. I'm running Windows 8 64bit

Message 15 of 21 (3,195 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I think you can get around that by creating a shortcut.  If there's already one on the desktop, use that one.  Otherwise, create one (right click on the Mass Effect.exe icon, click on send to, click on desktop)

No, I'm wrong.  But it looks like you can right click on it, then click on "Troubleshoot compatibility".  

Message 16 of 21 (3,194 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

It's a shame [ of bioware ] that i have to download crack to get the game ME1 executed properly on W7/W8 especially when i have got the game bought.

It's also possible that DLCs[Pinnacle and Bring down ] won\t be functional with the cracked masseffect.exe but IDGAF. I want to play it again and i don't want to spend another 6 hours with the game reinstallation, support calls and the troubleshooting.

So download from origin, then get the crack with fixed galaxy map issue, potentially overheating ,[use google] and play it. It will defintely take some some until the game creators realize that some normal patch is required for the latest OSes.

logc is simple: i tried 3 available cracks , they all worked, the it's obviously original masseffect binary problem. you can try to do any magic wit compat settings, admin right and etc,, but i think you're wasting your time only.

Message 17 of 21 (2,681 Views)

@encheels wrote:

It's a shame [ of bioware ] that i have to download crack to get the game ME1 executed properly on W7/W8 especially when i have got the game bought.

It's not Bioware's fault that technologies change.

SD Signature Banner

Message 18 of 21 (2,672 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Your right, it's EA's fault for releasing the game in a trilogy pack when it won't even work for windows 8.

Message 19 of 21 (2,495 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Works fine for me (Win8.1 Pro / 64-bit).  Confusedmileywink:

Message 20 of 21 (2,491 Views)