(Still) Rendering thread exception problem - does this help?

by Rappeldrache

Original Post

(Still) Rendering thread exception problem - does this help?

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Hello,

I STILL have a "good old problem": The "Rendering thread exception".

- I have Win7

- Everything is up to date!

- I have Mass Effect 1, via Origin (newest installation), with all patches and DLC's of course

- MEUITM Mod ( http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmasseffect... )

- File: No brow fix for female NPC's (from the MEUITM site)

- Mod: Eyelashes for MEUITM ( http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/4/? )

BUT: I had this problem two years before, when I played WITHOUT any mods, too.

I tried really a lot of things. All this:

- Chance a few things in the BioEngine.ini(written in the MEUITM mod information)

- Double check for typos or format errors in the "BioEngine.ini"

- Game compatibility WinX (service Pack3) & as administrator (or try comp. Win7)

- Starting game NOT via origin and the MassEffect.exe (not launcher), from Binaries folder (Launch as Admin by using the MassEffect.exe)
- Ingame: No Hardware Sound
- In /program files/Mass Effect/Binaries locate the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files, Rename OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL32.bak, Rename wrap_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll
- If that don't helps, make sure the game is closed > rename the "BioEngine.ini" to
"old_BioEngine.ini" > start the game  (don't change the "BioEngine.ini")  > test.
- making a Repair in Origin
- Don't skip cut scenes.

I found a page, with a download. Somebody knows it? I wanted to try it, but I'm not sure if this isn't dangerous or not. Could be spyware or a virus, whatever. Somebody knows this page and this file: http://mass.effect.error.rendering.thread.exception.digiwiki.org/ ? Police officer

Thanks and Greetings Standard smile

Message 1 of 15 (14,476 Views)

Re: (Still) Rendering thread exception problem - does this help?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Rappeldrache

I found something that relates specifically to your error in conjunction with your mods:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-1/Playing-with-MEUITM-mod-rendering-thread-exception-error/m-p/...

Let us know if that helps you, thanks.

****EDIT****

Oh, it looks like you may have tried this Frown

barry.png
Message 2 of 15 (14,462 Views)

Hero

Could you post a dxdiag file? The most common cause for this is unsupported hardware / driver.

Could you also disable the mods just to be absolutely sure they're not the cause? It may be possible it was caused by something else two years ago.

There's also one specific mission that triggers this error. It's the one on the Citadel where the guy near Flux wants you to get some drugs for him at Michele's clinic. If that mission is active, finish it as quickly as possible.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 15 (14,453 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I made a copie of ALL my vanilla files ... I thing I could try to chance them and look then. Wizard

I will try to make a dxdiag file. Wink

- I crashed talking to Garrus for the first time, BEFORE I tal kto the council for the first time.

- I crashed when I talked for the first time with the council.

- I crashed talking with Udina and Anderson AFTER the council.

- I crashed when I talked to the Volos vendor in the market.

- I crashed talking to the barkeeper ... when you leave the human embassy you dont go to the left (lake), you go du the right (behind the friendly asari). There is a little bar. I think you can meet Nassana here, but right now she don't talk to me. 3 times. Every time I try to speak with him.

I was NOT near the Flux right now .... Cat I just arrived at the council ....

But Eden Prime was great ... everything was all right. And I chanced NOTHING between Eden Prime and the Citadell. Oops

THANKS! Heart

EDIT:

This EA information about making a dxdiag File is GREAT! Didn't know that EA have such good tutorials. Large smile What can I do with this really large file now?

Message 4 of 15 (14,450 Views)

★★ Guide

Here my dxdiag File. Cat

https://hastebin.com/axobemudot.tex

Thanks a lot Dragon

Message 5 of 15 (14,429 Views)

★★ Guide

Hello,

right now I'm still "working" on the problem. I have re-installed EVERYTHING. And I have done something .... don't laugh: I have started the game through Origin and NOT through the MassEffect.exe (C / Binaries folder). Till I start the game through Origin I dit not had this problem again (WITH mods). BUT: I checked it just for about 5 or 6 times.So: It's NOT sure.

I will update my experience here for other users, who may have this problem, too.

Attention: The Origin updates for Mass Effect 1 sometimes takes a bit. Happen to me that the Update came some time AFTER the installation. I installed the mods directly after the game installation.  And than I was surprised when Origin updated the game. If this happen: You have to re-install ALL the mods again (especially MEUITM). Wink

(Sorry for my english Frown )

Message 6 of 15 (14,415 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I still have the bug. Just happen AFTER I talked for the first time to the council.

I don't understand it: I had the Bug without any mods 2 years ago, with an Nvidia Grafikcard. Now I have the same bug, but this time I have mods, meanswhile I made a "Format C" and I have a (newer) AMD Grafikcard. SO I don't think it have something to do with the Grafikcard or the mods.

Friends of mine play the game and NEVER have this bug .... I don't understand ....

Somebody have an idea? Please. Frown

EDIT: I just try to play in Compatability with Win7. Again the bug.

Message 7 of 15 (14,383 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

New day, new fun with my personal bug Wink

- I tried this one, don't work:

It's this line: TEXTUREGROUP_Environment_1024=(MinLODSize=4096,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1)
Scale back the MinLODSize value to 2048:
TEXTUREGROUP_Environment_1024=(MinLODSize=2048,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=-1)
And it should work now. If it doesn't work, try a lower value for either the Min or Max value, whatever works for you. 

(found it here: http://fextralife.com/forums/p5062267/rendering-thread-exception/ )

I made the comp. to Win Vista.

All together a bad idea, I still have the old bug and a few new bugs, too. I "remade" it and the new bugs are gone. Old bugs are still here .... I would miss them ....

----------------------------------------------------

Idea: Installing the Patch 1.2 manual. Frown Can't start the Patch Installer cause he don't find the .exe. Frown (I know - the Patch should be incluted in the version now ... but I could give it a try).

Message 8 of 15 (14,367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

It could be ... that I have a solution .... I played today about 4 hours on the citadel without an crash .... I have installed everything new, but I thing the solution was this here. I quote:

"Additional graphical improvements can be had with the following Bioengine.ini tweaks (these are not required to run the mod and these tweaks will work with vanilla Mass Effect)
Important: bioengine.ini tweak to fix many normal maps in the game without requiring TexMod. This file is located: x:\\Users\\xxx\\Documents\\BioWare\\Mass Effect\\Config

**Note any typos will break the game and cause crashes so be careful here** All mistakes can be fixed but if you avoid typos it will save a headache in the long run.
Typos here will typically display an error message along the lines of "attempting to load unused mip #0 for texture2D" at crash. If you see that check for typos there is no other cause.

Find the following 3 entries:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)

And change them to:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)

This will allow you the highest detailed normal maps the game can render without needing TexMod which allows me not to have to modify many many normal maps.

Dynamic Shadow Fix
Use the following Bioengine.ini tweaks:

Find the following entries:
DepthBias=0.030000 or(0.012 if you restored to pre-official 1.2 patch values)
MinShadowResolution=32
MaxShadowResolution=512
ShadowFilterQualityBias=0

And change them to:
DepthBias=0.006000
MinShadowResolution=32
MaxShadowResolution=4096
ShadowFilterQualityBias=4

(this is NOT from me, it's from here: http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmasseffect... )

The error I made - Attention please:

The 4 lines to chance at the "Dynamic Shadow Fix" are NOT togehter. The last line stands alone (search a little bit). And all 4 lines have to be chanced TWICE!! Two times.

Thanks for your attention - if it don't work, I'll will be back .... Angel

Elevatorride.jpg

Message 9 of 15 (14,354 Views)

@Rappeldrach

@Rappeldrache wrote:

The error I made - Attention please:

The 4 lines to chance at the "Dynamic Shadow Fix" are NOT togehter. The last line stands alone (search a little bit). And all 4 lines have to be chanced TWICE!! Two times.

That is indeed a common mistake when it comes to changes in the "BIOEngine.ini" for MEUITM. But then the game should have run with a vanilla "BIOEngine.ini" without problems.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 10 of 15 (14,345 Views)