Problem with saves

by FunnyPunch

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Problem with saves

★★★ Novice

I made a post about this issue, but I was advised to make a new topic since answers there didn't work for me. I Include 3 screenshots and DxDiag.

Copy of my post:

"Well, my saves don't work - with or without Cloud Storage. No Antivirus - only Windows 10 anti-malware software. And when it saves it says "saving the content", but all I can do is switch between my three characters, that I've played for 10 minutes, and none of them have saves. I installed Origin Games - so Mass effect on the D disk, instead of C, but the saves directory in Origin when I click on properties shows disk C. I will try to run the game on administrator, perhaps with Compatibility to Win XP. I've played Mass Effect 1 on many computers. I just bought this copy couple of days ago - it is my FIFTH copy of the game - I wanted to show support for great RPG/Shooter. And instead I cannot play.

Three screen captures says how it looks. There are no saves on computer - there is only one profile in Documents - should be 4 (I created 3)."

I started once again this time without using Origin and I've had both diagnostic tool and the game set to Run as Administrator. Still didn't work. I will try to use compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7. I included only 2 of 3 screenshots since you don't allow for more than 3 files.

FunnyPunch

Message 1 of 16 (4,317 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Problem with saves

[ Edited ]

@charlesmartin82 

Try to disable the Steam cloud save function and your Anti virus program (Even if it is the defender, go to offline mode if you have security concerns.) 

Also look if the "Controlled folder access" of the Windows defender is activated. If so deactivate it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 9 of 16 (4,247 Views)

All Replies

Betreff: Problem with saves

@FunnyPunch 

Do you use Onedrive? If so look if the game saves to the ondrive folder.

The save games should be under "Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect\Save". Is the folder present at that location?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 16 (4,308 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have a one drive - it says it is empty. Yes there is folder saves in the documents, but it only has profile. No Saves. This whole folder and above was read only. I changed it to normal, just as I did with Origin Games. Unfortunately folder Origin, when I try to change it to be not-read-only, says that I need an administrator approval. I am on administrator account. Well I have only account and it has Administrator privileges. Unfortunately even eliminating the read-only option it still didn't allow to save Frown

Message 3 of 16 (4,302 Views)

@FunnyPunch 

Don't worry about the read only option, it will be there again if you look now.

You can't set folders to read only with this box, only the files in it, and that only after they get created.

Try this:

Press the Windows key and "X" at the same time > Click on "Command prompt (Administrator)" or "PowerShell (Administrator)"

• In the CMD or PowerShell window, at the prompt type or copy:  takeown /F "xxxxxxxxxxxx"   (With the quotes. Replace the X with the full path to the "Save" folder > Standardly: C:\Users\>your user name<\Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 1\Save  .) > hit "ENTER"

• Reboot.
  • Try the to save again.

Message 4 of 16 (4,298 Views)

★★★ Novice

I didn't notice your reply, I was browsing bioware forum archive and there was the same problem. There was a solution

1. So I moved the game on the same disk that has "Documents"

2. I deleted Save and Logs folders

3. I went into "Documents" properties, changed it's directory to C:\My documents - yes I added "My"

4. I ran "MassEffectConfig" changed one thing, saved, changed it back, saved.

5. I ran the game from Origin and it works.

BTW Reinstalling and other things didn't work. I will look into your solution and can provide the link for this one on bioware site (I think). But now I have to go sleep. Just explain to me what does your solution "makes" (Sorry It's 4:30 a.m. and my English is wavering) ?

Sincerely,

Funny Punch

Thank You for your help!

Message 5 of 16 (4,288 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I'm having this same problem with the Steam version. It will create the INI files on first run in the right place, but never update them. Saving gives an error. If I copy one of my old saves into the directory it just freezes when I try to load it. It's a bit frustrating to diagnose because getting through the character creation and intro takes a few minutes each time.

Message 6 of 16 (4,279 Views)

@FunnyPunch 

If it works now you don't need to do anything else.

My approach would have give ownership of the ME1 Save folder to your user account.

@charlesmartin82 

How is the exact error message?

Did you tried to run Steam and/or the game as Administrator?

Message 7 of 16 (4,270 Views)

★★ Novice

"A problem occurred while saving the game. No game data session was preserved. Please try again."

Tried running as admin, so shouldn't have access rights problems. All folder permissions are correct. The launcher/configuration utility has no problem writing the settings (INI files in Documents / Bioware). Really stumped on this one.
Had similar issues with ME2, but I did get it working on Steam, but not Origin, though. Bizarre. I only have ME1 for Steam though.

Message 8 of 16 (4,262 Views)

[ Edited ]

@charlesmartin82 

Try to disable the Steam cloud save function and your Anti virus program (Even if it is the defender, go to offline mode if you have security concerns.) 

Also look if the "Controlled folder access" of the Windows defender is activated. If so deactivate it.

Message 9 of 16 (4,248 Views)

★★ Novice
@Holger1405 No luck. It's bizarre. I tried it on my laptop, it works fine on that! Integrated graphics isn't that great even for a 10 year old game, though.
Message 10 of 16 (4,233 Views)