[PC] There is a problem connecting to the server. ME1 authorization issue.

by Jocobai

Original Post

Re: [PC] There is a problem connecting to the server. ME1 authorization issue.

★ Novice

The issue persist, oh God. My internet is working fine, i don't think this issue is from my side.

Message 11 of 106 (2,426 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same exact issue. I'm online right now and am hoping I can play this game somehow. . .

Message 12 of 106 (2,413 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@edersam2k  Problem persists here too Frown I think we have a waiting game on our hands, until EA can find the issue and fix it. But it's good to be sure it's not on your end. Also, can you let us know what operating system you're on? It might help EA to know how widespread this is, that it's definitely not just on one system.

@Trobotten  Hi there, if you've got the exact same issue, can you click the 'me too' on the first post please? Might help to let EA know at a quick glance how many are having trouble with this. Also, can you let us know what operating system you're on, and your method of install (disk, Origin, Steam?). Have you double checked to be sure the game isn't being blocked by your firewall or anything else?

Message 13 of 106 (2,388 Views)

@Jocobai

So different is taste. I love ME1, but ME3 is the best game in the trilogy for me. Standard smile

Did you tested Andromeda? If you like ME1 that much there is imho a good chance that you would like Andromeda as well.

As for the problem:

I escalated the problem with the EA CMs. But connection problems like this are really hard to pinpoint,

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 14 of 106 (2,356 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@holger1405  Very different tastes, yes. I will say it was good for its soundtrack, I like listening to that when I'm writing sometimes Standard smile I had a look at some Andromeda videos, but it upset me somewhat too. So not sure if I'll ever follow any more new Mass Effect releases, but I'm very happy with my fanfiction writing and replaying the first two games Large smile

Thank you for escalating the problem with the EA CMs. I've been active over in this Sims 3 thread where they seem to be having the same issue, and not only that, I've found someone getting the same message with Mirror's Edge, and a very similar message with Spore. Something all these games share is that they're on the same list for this authorization system. There's also now this post by beerxced79000 in the Sims 3 forum, which may be a possible place for EA to look for help pinpointing this issue?

--

EDIT / UPDATE: Following beerxced79000's post on the Sims 3 post for this issue, someone has mannaged to get their game to authorize by copying the 'paul.dll' file from one of their expansion pack files to the base game's files. So, the source of this problem seems to be the 'paul.dll' file, which I can confirm is also in the Mass Effect files (found under the 'binaries' file of the game install). The 'paul.dll' seems to be the file that connects the authorization system on our computers to the license server, and the version that deals with our old games currently is 'blocked' from connecting to the servers. I know nothing about how servers work, but at a guess, if EA has been doing some server work, is it possible they've changed something and accidently broken that link that 'paul.dll' connects to?

(For the record, I did just try copying my 'paul.dll' file from one of my own Sims 3 expansion files to my Mass Effect files, and it just told me to reinstall the game, so I guess the .dll files are coded for the specific games. But it was worth a try, nice to see a different error message Wink )

@holger1405  Can you pass this information along to the CMs please, if they're not already aware? If it can get to the people working on a fix, hopefully it'll help to pinpoint the exact cause further Standard smile Beerxced79000's post is probably the most detailed information we've got so far, they've mentioned the different versions of the 'paul.dll' that're working, if that helps too.

--

IMPORTANT NOTE: The following does not work for Mass Effect installs on Origin.

SECOND EDIT / IMPORTANT UPDATE: I've got Mass Effect working! Thanks to a second post from @beerxced79000. I needed to copy both my 'paul.dll' file AND my 'winui.dll' file, as the two are linked to work properly (after making backups of Mass Effect's versions of these files. If anyone tries this DO NOT copy over or delete the original files, always keep a back up. For more detailed information, check out page 5 of this Sims 3 thread). The game starts up fine, my saves load up fine, looks like my dlc are in and working Large smile

HOWEVER, and I really want to stress this, especially to EA. This is a work around. There's going to be people who don't have these other files to use, I'm lucky that I also happen to have Sims 3 installed, and that the files ended up cooperating. The issue is not fixed, and I am more than certain it's on EA's end at this point. Something is broken in the servers and needs fixing, and I'm not considering this issue solved until I know that it has been properly sorted out.

Message 15 of 106 (2,345 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Jocobai

Great to hear! I was just about to point you to @puzzlezaddict post, but you did find it on your own. Standard smile

Edit: Important! This will not work on an Origin installation! The means of authentication are completely different at a Origin installation.  

So if you have a similar problem with a ME1 installation at Origin the issue lies elsewhere.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 16 of 106 (2,316 Views)

@Jocobai

Watching it is never the same as playing it with your own character.

Just saying. Wink Standard smile

Message 17 of 106 (2,309 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@holger1405  The Sims 3 thread is the first place I posted about this issue. I have some bad social anxiety issues, so didn't dare to make my own post here until I saw others having the same problem, and was encouraged to make my own thread Embarrassed I've kept an eye on it since.

Hopefully the information will help EA get to a fix that will work for everyone. I think I'll be keeping an eye on it anyway, it's not fair if some find a fix, and others don't get one.

And I don't doubt that. The character creator does look like fun with Andromeda, that's for sure Standard smile But with certain story stuff, I don't think I could enjoy it Disappointed

Message 18 of 106 (2,304 Views)

@Jocobai

No problem, it would be a boring world if we all would have the same taste. Standard smile

Also, FYI, the EA CMs are following up on that issue.

Message 19 of 106 (2,300 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@holger1405  Very true Standard smile And that's reassuring to know. Thank you Large smile

Message 20 of 106 (2,295 Views)