Re: [PC] There is a problem connecting to the server. ME1 authorization issue.

by Jocobai

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Jocobai

your penultimate note on mirror'š edge is very interesting Standard smile

I inform you that the last installation of my game mirror's edge 2007 was done last Friday by downloading with Origin and that my version contains the activation by securom PA and has ailments suffered the problem of license server that can be corrected via my method with paul.dll!

however, the installation key I used on Origin to get the game on this platform comes from a version in box with the number on the back of the record! The box version is also protected by online activation of securom.

besides the box version contains a bonus disc with the OST of the game and Origin offers me to download the music corresponding to the bonus CD in MP3 Standard smile

I guess if your version of mirror's edge is different from mine at the level of protection! so you may not be able to access this bonus content with the game's music?

so on the Origin platform, there would be two versions of the same game following how the user bought his license!

m1.JPGm2.JPGm3.JPGmir.JPGmir2.JPGm4.JPG

good rest and courage to youWink

Message 31 of 106 (5,581 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@holger1405

the boxed version of mirror's edge uses this online activation

if you use the game's license in the boxed version, then you get the same version on Origin with online activation by securom

you get the same thing in downloading, it just matches the license.

it's going to depend on where and in what form you bought the game.

-purchase on originno activation with securom apparently / origin activation ?

-box purchase : securom activation and paul.dll problem

-dematerialized version of origin with the box installation key : securom activation and paul.dll problem 

Wink

Message 32 of 106 (5,721 Views)

[ Edited ]

@beerxced79000

If you redeem an old key in Origin and download a digital version of the game you will not get a game version that uses the old securom DRM, regardless of the way you obtained the key.

There is only one version you can get throughout Origin.

See post #48

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 33 of 106 (5,701 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@holger1405

I assure you that you are wrong

I am using an old boxed game key and origin makes me download a version with securom

I prove it to you in video and you will be obliged to offer me a game on origin! okay ? Standard smile

Message 34 of 106 (5,691 Views)

[ Edited ]

@beerxced79000

No bets accepted. Wink

I will clear things up with an EA CM.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 35 of 106 (5,681 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Current situation: The problem seems to be on EA's end. They are aware of the issue, and a fix is hopefully in the works. I will update this post when I hear more news.

-

A work-around has been discovered thanks to @beerxced79000's posts on the Sims 3 thread. For more detail, refer to the posts here and here, and @puzzlezaddict's post here. If you're experiencing problems specifically with Sims 3, please follow puzzlezaddict's post for a potential solution. It was thanks to these posts that I managed to get Mass Effect to authorize, and it now works fine. However, due to the nature of the work-around, it may not be viable for everyone. Thanks to @beerxced79000's follow up information, I'm going to try explain the process here in a step-by-step format.

The issue seems to be effecting games that use this authorization method.

Warning: Before proceeding, this is going to involve swapping some game files around. If you're not comfortable with that, and you're sure you're experiencing the same problem, then the best thing to do is wait for an official fix from EA. With luck, you just have to be patient and wait for news Standard smile Please check your internet connection (information about how to do that here) to be sure that isn't causing the issue. I cannot guarantee this fix will work for you, and am not responsible if you accidently delete or break your game files. I am using Windows 7 64 bit, and may not be able to help if you're on another operating system.

-

Step 1: Determine if your game files have the 'paul.dll' file.

This should be located under your game's install directory, under either a 'binaries' or 'bin' folder. A 'winui.dll' should be in the same folder too. Example screenshot, credit to @beerxced79000

mirror1.JPG

If your game does not have the 'paul.dll' file: As far as I know, this work around won't work for you, and you'll have to wait on a fix from EA.

If your game does have the 'paul.dll' file: Proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Replacing the 'paul.dll' file with another version of the file that will work.

For this, you're going to need to have another EA game which uses this .dll. I personally used Sims 3 files (following puzzlezaddict's post), and beerxced79000 seems to have used the files from Medal of Honor 2010. If you don't have either of these games, check this list for other possible games to look at. If you have any of these games, navigate to their install directory, and check under their 'binary' or 'bin' files to see if they have the 'paul.dll' too. If you don't have any other games with the 'paul.dll', this fix won't work for you, and you'll have to wait for a fix from EA.

If you've found another game with the 'paul.dll', proceed to step 3.

Step 3: Check what versions of 'paul.dll' you have avaliable.

To do this, right click on the 'paul.dll' file, and select properties. On the window that appears, click on the 'details' tab.

PaulVersion

The highlighted numbers are what you're looking for. As far as we know, 'paul.dll' versions 4.1.1.13 and 4.1.1.14 are not working. If you only have these versions of the 'paul.dll', then this fix won't work for you. I can personally confirm that version 4.1.1.18 works, and if you have any other versions that aren't mentioned here, then it's worth continuing to try this fix. If you've found a potentially viable version of the 'paul.dll', proceed to step 4.

Step 4: !!BACK UP YOUR FILES!!

Again, I can't guarantee that this work-around will work for you, so make sure you have your files backed up before you change anything. Navigate back to the game that won't start's binary files. Create a new folder, name it whatever you want, then move 'paul.dll' and 'winui.dll' into this new folder for safekeeping. Do this either by dragging and dropping them into the new folder, or by cut and pasting them into it.

ALWAYSBACKUP

With your original game files safe, proceed to step 5 Standard smile

Step 5: Copy and paste (do not cut and paste like before) the newer versions of 'paul.dll' and 'winui.dll' from the other game files. These files work together, so make sure you get them from the same game, from the same folder. Place them in the 'binary' folder that you just moved the old version of 'paul.dll' and 'winui.dll' out of, so they're in the same place as the game's .exe file.

And that's it! Your game should now connect to EA's authorization servers, and start normally Standard smile If you still get the "There is a problem connecting to the server." message, then please check your version of the 'paul.dll', and let us know if it's not one of the versions mentioned here, so we know how many versions are effected by this issue. If this work-around doesn't work for you, make sure you return the old 'paul.dll' and 'winui.dll' files back to their original folder, so everything is back to its original state while you wait on a proper fix from EA.

Message 36 of 106 (8,400 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@holger1405  @beerxced79000

Let me know if the above post is ok. I'll give it an edit if I've forgotten anything or got something wrong Standard smile

@Xentik95  Have a read through the accepted solution post above, and let us know if it helps Standard smile

Message 37 of 106 (5,670 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

paul.dll 4.1.1.20 a Winui 2.0.0.1 work

the uninstallation and a new installation of the game by the procedure allows to find the original files!

good job Wink

"Current situation: The problem seems to be on EA's end. They are aware of the issue, and a fix is hopefully in the works. I will update this post when I hear more news."

TRUE ? Standard smile
Message 38 of 106 (5,650 Views)

★ Guide

@holger1405

you are right this time, otherwise you will have lost

Wink

Message 39 of 106 (5,649 Views)

EA app Team

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing information and helping each other! :eahigh_file:

For those of you who are installing your games using a disk, please, uninstall the game completely. Make sure there's no installation folders left, you de-authorize your computer and clean the registry by using Ccleaner or a similar tool: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-use-ccleaner-to-fix-pc-issues/

Once you are sure the game is completely uninstalled from your system, restart your computer and install the game again through Origin.

Origin downloads of the game are the same no matter if you purchased the game through Origin or redeemed a key.

If you downloaded the game through Origin but had the game previously installed through disk in the same computer, please, try the same.

Thanks,

-Mai

Message 40 of 106 (5,645 Views)