Re: Mass Effect Won't Start - Tried the Usual Things

★★★ Apprentice

no problem man

you should move the solution marker from the second post too, if you can

still, i am far from finding out how to disable mouse smoothing in ME1... >.<

Message 101 of 166 (1,095 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Why move the solution marker?  It's been one of the top solutions.

Message 102 of 166 (1,046 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

i thought other solutions didn't work for you whilst this does

sorry for misunderstanding

Message 103 of 166 (985 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Oh, I see.  No, it's worked well.  Your link just adds a whole lot that people can try out without resorting to my desparate measures.  

Message 104 of 166 (964 Views)

★ Novice

That solution works fine Standard smile

Message 105 of 166 (871 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks worked for me (Origin and Windows 8.1 64 bit). But when it comes to chat with advisor, don't tell about windows 8.1. First time I was told that ME1 is not supported on w8 or w8.1.

Second time advisor gave me a new key and it is working now Standard smile

Message 106 of 166 (850 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Good to know.  I've added a note to the solution to suggest not mentioning it.

Message 107 of 166 (838 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks heaps, first time with customer support but suprisingly fine, less that five hours waiting, less that  a day talking. actually, probably 15 minutes all up, only spent like two minutes waiting, he just asked my securety code and sent me a new registration. again, THANK YOU!

Message 108 of 166 (769 Views)

Re: [PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

It strikes me as absolutely ridiculous we have to go through this. This problem has clearly been around for the better part of a year, and rather than updating the build you get through Origin, they make us all waste our time going through this process?

Update:

Ok, here's what happened for me.

I bought Mass Effect 1 (stand alone, not the Trilogy, since I already had 2 & 3 on Origins). Downloaded it. Didn't work. Fiddled with compatiblity settings. Didn't work. Restarted Origins. Didn't work.

I looked through all your solutions, decided I really didn't want the headache, went straight to customer service. After routine account verification and explaining my problem he just gave me a new code and a link to an EA redemption page. Activated it. Origins spazzed out and displayed a new copy of Mass Effect in My Games, then deleted the old copy of Mass Effect.

This did have the annoying effect of auto-deleting my installation somehow, forcing me to reinstall the NEW copy of Mass Effect that had shown up when I redeemed that code. After downloading and installing this new ME copy, it works perfectly, no messing around with settings or patching or anything. Works just like you'd expect when purchasing a game. So whatever.

Anyways, so tl;dr is that it might be worth it to try Customer Service after trying running as admin and compatibility settings but before messing around with drivers and patching.

Message 109 of 166 (717 Views)

Re: [PC] Mass Effect Won't Start - A New Solution

Hero (Retired)

Thanks!  I've just added a paragraph at the start of the solution asking for people to give it a try your way.  If i get a couple of people confirming it, I'll be quite happy to reference it instead.

It does make me wonder.  Maybe they have a version of ME that some of these codes point to that is broken?  This seems to happen most frequently with codes purchased from non Origin locations, such as Amazon.  Perhaps they sell older codes that point to and download a broken one, but when Origin issues you a new one it's actually downloading an entirely separate version of the game that authenticates on the correct server, etc.  I'm not sure if I'm being coherent here, but it makes a certain amount of sense in my brain.  

Message 110 of 166 (682 Views)