Re: Origins Mass Effect won't start on my Windows 7 PC!

by sundance31us

Original Post

Origins Mass Effect won't start on my Windows 7 PC!

★★★ Newbie

I know this question has been asked a billion times and I would never post my problem on a forum unless I really couldn't solve it myself!
Basically, I've downloaded and installed Mass Effect 1 from Origin onto my pc and as soon as I click play, the cloud data will sync but nothing will happen after. 
I've tried many solutions. I've tried to run Mass Effect as an administrator, change the compatibility to XP service pack 3 & 2 and then went onto try every other one to no avail. I've tried running Origin as an administrator too but still nothing. I've reinstalled and uninstalled, restarted my computer and turned it off for at least 15 minutes and turned it back on again. Plus, I've tried patching it (?) and replacing the OpenAL32.dll files like someone else suggested. Nothing I do seems to work and I've just had my computer fixed up so it's practically brand new. These are my system details:

1 a. PC version
b. I downloaded it from Origin

2. Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-3330 CPU @3.00 GHZ
Core count: 4,  Ram: 8GB

b. Display adapter: AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL)
VRAM: 1GB
Driver ver:  (doesn't say sorry)

c. Sound adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

d. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  (64 bit)

e. Direct X Version: DirectX 10.0  (Mar2009) or later

Message 1 of 21 (30,889 Views)

Did you patch your game to 1.02?

SD Signature Banner

Message 2 of 21 (30,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@SuperRisu wrote:

I know this question has been asked a billion times and I would never post my problem on a forum unless I really couldn't solve it myself!
Basically, I've downloaded and installed Mass Effect 1 from Origin onto my pc and as soon as I click play, the cloud data will sync but nothing will happen after. 
I've tried many solutions. I've tried to run Mass Effect as an administrator, change the compatibility to XP service pack 3 & 2 and then went onto try every other one to no avail. I've tried running Origin as an administrator too but still nothing. I've reinstalled and uninstalled, restarted my computer and turned it off for at least 15 minutes and turned it back on again. Plus, I've tried patching it (?) and replacing the OpenAL32.dll files like someone else suggested. Nothing I do seems to work and I've just had my computer fixed up so it's practically brand new. These are my system details:

1 a. PC version
b. I downloaded it from Origin

@2. Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-3330 CPU @3.00 GHZ
Core count: 4,  Ram: 8GB

b. Display adapter: AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL)
VRAM: 1GB
Driver ver:  (doesn't say sorry)

[/quote]

That one is far too important to just try to skip past, especially since the FirePro is designed for (entry level only) generating graphics, not for playing graphics, and the same goes for the drivers.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=FirePro+V3900

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/firepro-v3900-review-benchmark,3153.html

[quote]c. Sound adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

d. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  (64 bit)

e. Direct X Version: DirectX 10.0  (Mar2009) or later

You don't want or need Dx10 or Dx11.  This is a Dx9 game, and you must have it installed.   Look again at the requirements:

Recommended System Requirements for Mass Effect on the PC

Operating System:
Windows XP or Vista

Processor:
2.8+GHZ Intel or 2.4+GHZ AMD

Memory:
2 Gigabyte Ram

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or higher.
ATI X1800 XL series or higher

Hard Drive Space:
12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers – 5.1 sound card recommended

Message 3 of 21 (30,790 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ok it randomly started working today..no idea why.. I'm assuming cause I've been playing around with making it run as an administrator and turning it off until the next day but thanks anyway guys! I'm excited to play~

Message 4 of 21 (30,764 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This thread doesnt help at all.

Message 5 of 21 (30,725 Views)

★★★ Newbie

he could be more helpful

Message 6 of 21 (30,523 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert
Message 7 of 21 (30,511 Views)

★ Novice

Hey guys,

I have had the same issue with this for 3 days now and i have been trying to go throught the support hoops with EA support. Still no solution. I have been very patient with there service and the deemed my case for a "escalating one" w/e that means I am not sure. They asked me to call a tech support case team today. I called them mid day and waited on hold for over an hour. I am very upset that many others have this same issue and EA is not supporting this issue to myself or anyone else.

I hardly think that over an hour long wait on hold is fair to my own time, or anyone elses. Perhaps EA should think about increasing there support staff or resolving this issue as a whole. As i have found many others with this same issues, not just including this thread.

Any further progress with this issue I will repost again later.

Good luck to anyone else with this issue.

Message 8 of 21 (26,146 Views)

Hero (Retired)

This solution has worked for most people:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-1/PC-Mass-Effect-Won-t-Start-A-New-Solution/m-p/1435670#M2911

There's a lot to it.  Read it carefully. 

Message 9 of 21 (26,143 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I just ran into this problem on my computer and I fixed it easy.

1.  Find the MassEffectLauncher.exe file in the Program Files (86)/Origin/Mass Effect folder

2.  Right click on MassEffectLauncher.exe and select Properties

3.  Click on the compatibility tab

4.  Select Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode and put check marks in:

- Disable visual themes

- Disable desktop composition

- Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

- Run this program as an administrator

5.  Click Apply and OK and then double-click on MassEffectLauncher.exe and play the game.

Message 10 of 21 (24,144 Views)