Re: MassEffect.exe FORCED run as Administrator

by voteDC

Original Post

MassEffect.exe FORCED run as Administrator

★★★ Novice

I don't run programs as Administrator on my computer. All games are installed in a directory that a standard user has full access to the files.

When I open up MassEffect.exe in Resource Hacker, here is the Manifest:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urnConfusedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"><dependency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50727.762" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity></dependentAssembly></dependency><ms_asmv2:trustInfo xmlns:ms_asmv2="urnConfusedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2"><ms_asmv2Confusedecurity><ms_asmv2:requestedPrivileges>
            <ms_asmv2:requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"></ms_asmv2:requestedExecutionLevel>
         </ms_asmv2:requestedPrivileges></ms_asmv2Confusedecurity></ms_asmv2:trustInfo></assembly>

It says run asInvoker, so why am I getting a UAC prompt? What is really interesting, if I rename MassEffect.exe to anything else, it doesn't require Administrator privileges. Can I get some Dev help to understand what backwards force run as Admin stuff you have going here?

Message 1 of 5 (14,694 Views)

★★★ Novice

*facepalm*

Okay, here's how I got past the stupid developers.

1) Renamed MassEffect.exe to ME.exe (It no longer is forced to run as Administrator)

2) Launched an Elevated CMD Prompt

3) D:

4) D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect\Binaries

5) mklink MassEffect.exe ME.exe

Now the game launches from Steam as a regular user, and not elevating for no reason.

Message 2 of 5 (14,655 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You just saved me two days worth of headache. Thank you my good sir Standard smile

Message 3 of 5 (9,807 Views)

★ Novice

Ok so I want to play on my computer with a Dualshock4 but I have no idea what you said there. Anyway you could simplify or explain in detail so that I understand ? 

Message 4 of 5 (3,441 Views)

★ Guide

This topic is nothing to do with playing with a controller. None of the Mass Effect games on PC support controllers, you would need to visit NexusMods in order to get a mod to enable you to do so.

Message 5 of 5 (3,203 Views)