Mass Effect

by dreadlock0327

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm having an issue with mass effect where some of the graphics just go black and I cannot see my player or the enemy. I have reset my setting and nothing has changed. what should I do.

Message 1 of 8 (1,370 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect

Hero

This was originally posted in the ME2 forum, but this is a known issue with ME1, so I moved it to the appropriate subforum.

@dreadlock0327 What you describe is a compatibility issue with AMD FX processors. 

There are two locations in the game (Peak 15 and Ilos) where the lighting is rendered by the CPU instead of the GPU, and it so happens that AMD no longer supports this particular technique on their FX lineup. There are two things you can do:

1. Upgrade to a PC with an Intel processor (this may be a bit expensive).
  2. Disable dynamic lighting (not pretty).

Heres' how to do that:

1. Enable the developer console (instructions here)
  2. Open the console in-game, type viewmode unlit and press enter.
  3. After you leave the planet, revert to standard lighting by using the command viewmode lit.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 3 of 8 (1,610 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

There were three games.  At least two of the three were offered on three platforms.  The first one started out just XBox at first.  I know that there was eventually a PC version.  I played that.  Your question cannot be answered yet.

This guide applies to any game, NOT limited to just the DA: I game at all:  
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/How-to-post-the-relevant-info-when-you-create-a-ques...

Message 2 of 8 (1,352 Views)

Hero

This was originally posted in the ME2 forum, but this is a known issue with ME1, so I moved it to the appropriate subforum.

@dreadlock0327 What you describe is a compatibility issue with AMD FX processors. 

There are two locations in the game (Peak 15 and Ilos) where the lighting is rendered by the CPU instead of the GPU, and it so happens that AMD no longer supports this particular technique on their FX lineup. There are two things you can do:

1. Upgrade to a PC with an Intel processor (this may be a bit expensive).
  2. Disable dynamic lighting (not pretty).

Heres' how to do that:

1. Enable the developer console (instructions here)
  2. Open the console in-game, type viewmode unlit and press enter.
  3. After you leave the planet, revert to standard lighting by using the command viewmode lit.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 8 (1,611 Views)

Re: Mass Effect (version unknown)

★★★★★ Expert

@dreadlock0327 

I suppose I had assumed you were involved in the Game Giveaway from Origin on the House.  That was for Mass Effect 2, not Mass Effect 1.  Was Fred correct?  It was ME-1 after all?  Did his answer deal with the situation as well as possible? 

Message 4 of 8 (1,317 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Thank you that worked
Message 5 of 8 (1,304 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It was Fred's suggestion, but we're pleased to learn you have fixed things!  Have fun playing! 

Message 6 of 8 (1,296 Views)

★ Apprentice
They have changed and the Engine.Console is not there any more.
Message 7 of 8 (939 Views)

[ Edited ]

@lordpeano

The console still works on my game, so the problem is not with the game.

If it is about the same problem discuses in this thread, (black polygons at Peak 15 and Ilos) there is a mod on the nexus side that fixes the problem. 

You can find it here.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 8 of 8 (913 Views)