Mass Effect for Windows 8 Pro 64-bit edition

by kingofcerealg

Original Post

Mass Effect for Windows 8 Pro 64-bit edition

★★ Novice

Hello there.

I've been trying to get mass effect 1 to run on my PC, but whenever I go to the launcher and press play, it thinks for a bit, then stops, with no error message.

I have the latest 1.02 patch and it still doesn't work. I've tried it off of both amazon and origin, and am having the same problem both ways. I've heard that some people have changed the compatibility mode of masseffect.exe and gotten it to work, but when I go into properties, there IS no compatibility tab, and creating a shortcut for masseffect.exe on my desktop doesn't help. I've even tried a workaround where I created an elevated process that ran masseffect.exe in xp compatibility mode, but that didn't work either. Has anyone had any experience with fixing this? I've tried contacting EA support, but they sent me to the phone line which had me waiting for over an hour two different times.

My system specs are:

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit edition

Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti

Intel Core i7 960

12Gb RAM

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 5 (861 Views)

Re: Mass Effect for Windows 8 Pro 64-bit edition

★★ Novice

For those that need this info:

PC version

Origin download

a. Intel Core i7 950 / quad core / 3.06 GHz / 12 Gb RAM                                               

b. nVidia Geforce 560 Ti / 1Gb VRAM / Running nVidia drivers 314.07                                                  

c. Onboard Realtek sound adapter with latest realtek sound drivers and realtek control panel

d. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit version

e. Direct X 11

Message 2 of 5 (847 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm guessing this has probably already been solved, but for anyone that has the issue in the future: Either run Origin in Admin mode, or set the Launcher exe to Admin mode - should fix any non launch issues

Message 3 of 5 (784 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nope, the problem is still out there.

I will have to go home and look up my system specs, but I am running Windows 8 Home 64, and an nVidia GT650M video card, which might also be part of the problem.  Mass Effect fails to launch with a General Exception fault, and Mass Effect 2 stops immediately after starting.  I am patched, and I have tried to run as Admin and in Compatibility Mode, and no dice.

So, any additional help would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 5 (571 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've had the same problem. My GPU is similar, a GT 640, but I doubt that's the problem, as it also won't start on my Windows 7 laptop with an older Radeon card.  I've really wanted to get into this series, but the game won't run on my computers. EA tech support was completely when I reached out to them about a year ago about this problem, and it still seems like they haven't figured it out. Wish I could run it since I've heard good things about the series, but until they get it running on modern operating systems, I'm not going to bother trying. 

Message 5 of 5 (382 Views)