Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

by mattschtick

Original Post

Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

★ Novice

Yesterday I downloaded Mass Effect 1 from Origin to my Windows 7 64bit PC. It would not play, it checked cloud data for a second then ...nothing. I have tried relaunching origin as administrator, I have tried WinXP compatibility (which gives a "ssleay32.dll" missing file warning). I have read on various forums that the problem might be with the product code. If I hover the mouse in Origin over Mass Effect in My Games and hit the information icon, there is no Product Code shown (all my other EA games do show a product code).

The poster who overcame this problem in this forum (http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-1/ssleay32-dll-missing/td-p/1436216) only succeeded after many long calls involving 3 tech guys and a total redownload of the game. I am hoping there is a Plan B. Thank you in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 3 (686 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

★ Novice

BTW I have downloaded patch 1.02 but when I try to run it, it always gives me "Mass Effect not found, Please reinstall the game from the original source and try again" whether I have got Origin open as administrator or not. I have also tried these options with Cloud storage enabled and disabled. Other contributors have mentioned file  MassEffectLauncher.exe and I too do not appear to have this file in C/ Program Files (x86)/ Origin Games/ Mass Effect.

Message 2 of 3 (674 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 not working on Windows 7 PC

Hero

Is Origin required to run the game? If not, I'd bypass Origin completely and go straight for the executable file. I got Dragon Age from Origin and I also don't use Origin for that.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (663 Views)